What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merge Visible is Different to what I see

Kevin White

Hi All,

I don't know if this is a bug from Photoshop or there's something corrupted within my computer but this problem is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to save this image, yet when I open the jpg that I have just saved it is very different to what I am seeing now. So I tried to Merge all visible by using CTRL ALT SHIFT E and somehow everything changes.

So this is what I'm seeing prior to blending and there are the adjustment layers which you can see.

Screen 1 : After editing

Photoshop1.PNG

When I merge all visible by CTRL ALT SHIFT E this is how it transpires.

Screen2 : After Merging Visible.. Which should be the same!

Photoshop2.PNG

Everything gets muddy and I have no idea why.

I hope I've explained the problem well and thank you in advance

I have also noted that the histogram changes if this might help.

Screen 3 : After my editing:

Photoshop3.PNG

Screen 4 : After merging visible

Photoshop4.PNG

Last edited:

Hoogle

Guru
this is because I am sure you are using blending modes and various opacity layers. if you flatten image rather than merge layers do you get the same look.

Kevin White

Thank you for your reply Hoogle.

Yes I am using various blending modes and opacity levels.

However the problem persists even if I flatten the image instead of merge visible.

Screenshot attached. Muffled stars with no contrast whatsoever.

Photoshop5.PNG

Hoogle

Guru
under the image menu are you in image mode RGB 8 bit or have you changed those settings.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I swear we just covered this exact problem in another thread. I'll see if I can find it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Kevin White What version of Ps are you using?

Is there anyway you would feel free to post your PSD file so that we might experiment with it?

Kevin White

under the image menu are you in image mode RGB 8 bit or have you changed those settings.

It is still RGB 16 which is the default setting I suppose. I tried changing it to to RGB 32 but a number of layers were not functioning, the 'overlay' blend mode is completely removed for example.

I swear we just covered this exact problem in another thread. I'll see if I can find it.

That would be very appreciated.

@Kevin White What version of Ps are you using?

Is there anyway you would feel free to post your PSD file so that we might experiment with it?

I'm using Adobe Photoshop CC on Windows 64-bit.

I'll gladly share the file but it's 534MB, do you have a suggestion where to upload it ?

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Dropbox, yousendit.com, Google docs, or any of the zillion other free file transfer services. I prefer places like yousendit.com because they don't require recipients to register.

Tom M

Last edited:

Hoogle

Guru
Your problem is a group within a group of adjustment layers

My solve which I do not quite understand is right click Group 1 folder select ungroup layers
Then take your levels Adjustment layer that was within that group and lower the opacity

then you should be fine.

Kevin White

I have used that workflow many times before and it never gave me this same problem, or at least never to this extent.

I have tried your suggestion to no avail.

Photoshopexample.JPG

On the left is the picture without that group you suggested. On the right is the exact same thing but merged all.

One things that I have noticed though is that when I zoom into the picture there is no difference between the two. I've lost a little hope with this and am resigned to thing that the photo I took was not of good quality in the first place.

Still is mind-boggling, how the merge visible doesn't give you exactly what is visible though!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The file download is not working for me. When I try to open the file, I get a "the file is empty" alert. It also came in two parts.

MrToM

Guru
I wouldn't really worry about it guys, there is nothing wrong with the file its just a PS display issue.

When viewed at 100%, (which you should always do regardless), you'll notice that there is no difference in the image...flattened or not.

The [flattened] version is in fact the correct output of the layers, what you are comparing it to is a compressed version at less than 100% zoom.

If you look closely at the image you'll see that at 3200% zoom you have detail only 1px x 1px. If you zoom OUT then there comes a point where to display a 1px square on your monitor just becomes impossible....so its not displayed at all.

This is the 'darker' version you 'think' is correct....but its not...its missing lots of detail purely because of the size of the detail....it simply cannot be displayed at that zoom level.

The 'flattened' version appears different because PS is NOT very accurate when it comes to mathematics. Adobe adopt a method called 'Quasi 15bit' for its calculations, (mathematically, not the menu option), and its not very good at best...this is used extensively throughout so when you 'flatten' your layers you get an image more representative of the truth....confusingly at the same zoom level.

Quite why this happens I don't know...but then who knows what happens in PS period! :rofl:

Its also this 'Quasi 15bit' method that makes the histogram pretty much useless, gradients from 0 to 255 impossible and no doubt a whole heap of other things just totally out of whack.

Your circumstances just happen to show these inaccuracies in a more dramatic and visual way to normal, but I can almost guarantee that they happen all the time.

Make it a habit to ALWAYS view your work at 100% before assuming the worse.

Regards.
MrToM.

Kevin White

Thanks Mr Tom for that.

I was contemplating doing a fresh install to PS! Now I checked again at 100% zoom level and it is as you said. Nothing changes when I toggle the Flatten image off/on.

It still baffles me why it represents different visuals at the same zoom level but I'll take your suggestion on board and always view things at the 100% level :)

Thank you!

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Its difficult to explain without making it extremely confusing but there really isn't any need....we just have to take it on board that PS is not very accurate when it comes to...well, images.

If you're lonely and desperate and want to read about 'Quasi 15bit' and why PS exclusively uses 'Lab' for just about everything, this article explains it in just about the easiest way I've found...

http://www.rags-int-inc.com/PhotoTechStuff/ColorCalculator/AdobeMath.html

It explains a lot once you understand it.

Just to back up my argument about gradients...try a 256px wide document filled with a 0-255 linear, (smoothness @ zero), gradient.....each column pixel should be one more RGB value higher than the last...up to 255...right?

Bet ya its not....bet ya the highest is 254!

:banghead:

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nope........sorry.......I don't know what's wrong.

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 8.42.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 8.41.47 AM.png

You could try MediaFire.