What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help recreating a certain patchiness - Difficult to explain in a title.

Dr.Nowt

sun.gif

Hi,

This is my first time posting. I'm not quite a "Newbie" as I've been using Photoshop for years but I never properly learned, I just figured things out for myself mostly.

I need some help with something but it's a little obscure.
I'm making an album cover and I've decided that I'm going to make the digipak cases myself by printing onto card and folding/glueing etc.
I used the sun in the image in a sort of prototype cover that I did a while back but it was only for the front page. I want the sun graphic to cover the whole of the packaging so that when it's all folded and glued together, there are no gaps and the sun rays/background colour/anything else will run continuously around the packaging but the one that I have isn't big enough.
I've made a much larger one on top of a digipak template but what I'm trying to do is repeat the patchiness of the original image (the one I've uploaded) with this larger graphic.
As stupid as it is, I can't remember exactly how I did it.
I know it was just one solid colour to begin with, then I erased a large area of it, retaining the edges. Then I think I filled it in again but I can't remember what I did next.
I'm sure that however I did it, it isn't a very well documented method and it probably took a lot more effort than it needed to.
Has anyone got any idea how I might have done this? Or any other ideas of how to recreate this?

Thanks in advance,

Nash

I dont think it is that complicated all you need to do is have a good template ti vegin with you can find a free 1 here CD / DVD Case: 7 Free Great Looking Photoshop Templates

and then you just need a starburst effect either from a custom shape or brush
Photoshop Custom Shapes – Ornaments « Graphic Design Blog

or a basic tutorial
Photoshop Effects - Starburst Background - Page 5

and then just use a splatter brush
Photoshop Splatter Brushes ~ Smashapps.org

and that is pretty much your whole cover redone

Thanks a lot for your reply,

I have the template that I need and I have no problem re creating the rising sun, it's just the effect on the sun which I was looking for.

I think some of those splatter brushes might be just the trick. The only problem is that I kind of like doing stuff myself. As great as those brushes look, I feel uneasy about using pre-made stuff rather than my own originals.
I could have just downloaded a rising sun graphic and used that but instead I looked into how to make one from scratch.

I suppose making some brushes of my own is the solution to this. If I can do that. I'll have to look into it I suppose.

Well just create a new square document White background and paint whatever you like your brush pattern to be.
Then select all
Edit > define brush preset once saved it will be the last brush in your brush pallet

Cool, thanks again for your help.

I think this is ideal. Should be able to get some good results with this!

Back