What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Camera

hershy314

Guru
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Canon Rebel XTi (yes I know it's still old). I'm just not sure if it would be a good buy or not. I would be getting a 35-80MM F/4-5.6 LENS for it. Reason I'm considering this one is I like the design of it better than my current Olympus E-300 and I think Canon just takes better photos. I can get both the camera and lens for $160 including shipping. I can still use my tripod and ND filter with it. It's easier to find accessories for this camera than it was for my current one. Is this a good buy?

Ok so I went a head and did it. I think I made a good call, if not.....oh well. lol.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey Hershy - Congratulations on your new camera. Was finding accessories the main reason you bought it, or were there specific problems with your older camera that you feel will be improved with the new one?

The reason I ask is because having experienced it myself over the years, you need to know about the dreaded disease called "GAS".

The acronym stands for "Gear Acquisition Syndrome". After your first exposure to GAS, your susceptibility to future bouts of the disease increases, until the disease ruins your life, LOL.

Seriously, tho, I wish you good luck with your new camera. At the very minimum, you will now have a decent backup, so that if one dies unexpectedly, you can immediately fall back on the other.

Best regards,

Tom M

hershy314

Guru
No finding accessories was not the reason I bought this one. Really I always wanted a Canon camera but when I got my current one I couldn't afford one. I bought my current one so I could use it to learn on. I'm selling my current gear to get back some of the money spent to get this new camera. There isn't anything wrong with my current camera, I just thought it was time for something new. I'm sure "GAS" will strike me some day.

Tom Mann

Guru
...I just thought it was time for something new...

I'm sure "GAS" will strike me some day.

I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like GAS *has* already struck. :rofl:

FWIW, I've been shooting semi-pro or pro since the 1960's, and in all that time, I've probably owned only 6 or 7 different SLR models (although I often buy two at a time so that I always have an identical backup and spread the wear and tear over two bodies). There is a lot to be said for *really* learning one system well and knowing exactly how it is limiting your photography before you move on to another camera. In my own experience, as well as from discussions with other photographers, the limiting factor to improvement is almost always, as the old saying goes, "the Indian, not the arrow".

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

hershy314

Guru
Maybe "G.A.S" has gotten me, oh well. I got my new camera today and so far I like it. Still learning the controls and such since there is no user manual, but that's what I get for buying used lol.