What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New poster - How do I do this?

mtyoung400

G'day everyone, first time poster here.

I was hoping some could me with the image attached here. What I am wanting to do is to use this image as a signature on my photos, but I want to make all the white areas opaque so that only the black and grey areas show.

Any help or advice on how to do this, or where I can find the infor to learn how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment I use Photoshop Elements 7 and 8

Attachments

• Red-necked Stint IMG_6492 (800BW).jpg
    Red-necked Stint IMG_6492 (800BW).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 8
You should be able to use Select-Color Range to pick the black and grey. Then copy and paste to a new layer (ctrl+j). You'll need to delete the original layer and then save as a png for transparency.

View attachment 1927it will take some cleaning up but this is just using magic wand set a 5 for tolerance (selecting the white)and similiar select inversewith a feathering of 0.2 copy paste delete lower layer save as png about 30 seconds of work

To make the selection you're going to have to use the magic wand tool, the Select|Color Range tool isn't available in PSE7, the version I have installed.
You can make a selection by using the marquee tool and selecting a small white area of white on the top and going to Select|Similar but i's not much different than magic wand.

Unless you have a specific reason for using this image, I personally don't like it for use with a transparent background.
A large area of the bird goes transparent when working with this image.
IMHO the white areas in the bird would remain white.

If it were me I'd rework the original image to retain a definite outline of this bird.

My suggestion would be to tailor the image for the specific place it is being used. On this board for example you would want to use the background color as your background color layer. Then place that image over top and set the layer blending mode to multiply. All the white will disappear. Create a layer underneath that layer and paint in white to color the bird (as mentioned my Steve).

Cheers!

Back