What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No refine edge option in Quick Selection tool

SuzPhotos

I am using PS CC 2017. I am trying to select two objects in a photo to blur a background. I am using the Quick selection tool, which works fine, except at the top over the photo, there is no option for "refine edge", as I have seen in online tutorials. As you can see by my attachment, the only option is "select and mask". Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 12.10.25 PM.png

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
You can still get the old Refine Edge back in Photoshop CC2017
There's a little trick that I discovered from another site
What you need to do is make your selection with the quick selection tool and then go to Select and Shift click on Select and Mask, you have to do this from the menu otherwise it won't work

Untitled1.jpg

PS CC2017 Refine Edge

Untitled.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's one way to do this that's editable.

Original.
Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.45.38 PM.png

Create two duplicates of the original image.
Deactivate the original layer.
Deactivate the first duplicate layer (second from top)

On the second or uppermost duplicate layer, choose whatever method you prefer to make a selection of the areas you wish to be transparent,
or in this case, the area you wish to have the blur.

With the selection active, add a layer mask to the second duplicate layer. Invert if needed.
Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.45.52 PM.png

Activate the first duplicate layer (second from top) and convert into a Smart Object.
(we do this because it allows us to add a smart filter which can be edited)
Select FILTER > BLUR > GAUSSIAN BLUR
Set your blur.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.46.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.46.14 PM.png

SuzPhotos

Thanks. That was a great help!

Here's one way to do this that's editable.

Original.
View attachment 68993

Create two duplicates of the original image.
Deactivate the original layer.
Deactivate the first duplicate layer (second from top)

On the second or uppermost duplicate layer, choose whatever method you prefer to make a selection of the areas you wish to be transparent,
or in this case, the area you wish to have the blur.

With the selection active, add a layer mask to the second duplicate layer. Invert if needed.
View attachment 68990

Activate the first duplicate layer (second from top) and convert into a Smart Object.
(we do this because it allows us to add a smart filter which can be edited)
Select FILTER > BLUR > GAUSSIAN BLUR
Set your blur.

View attachment 68991

View attachment 68992