What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pasting a PNG from the internet

fredfish

Guru
When I paste a png file that has been placed on the clipboard by right clicking on a png image image on the internet and selecting copy to clipboard the background of the image is always black rather than transparent.

Is there a way to avoid this?

If I save the PNG to disk in the same way and load it into PS no problem.

Cheers

John

What application are you using? in Firefox if I want to download a PNG these are the only option I have, I have never seen an option to copy to clipboard from a browser

image3.jpg

Ged you are right the option is "Copy image" - however the effect is that the image is placed on the clipboard. BTW I am using Chrome.

I haven't got Firefox installed but I do have Opera and the same thing happens there as well.

I actually have an action set up that creates a new image and places the contents of the clipboard into that image. I thought it might have been something to do with that but I have tried past and paste special.

I am beginning to think that the nature of copying from the internet places the image on the clipboard without the transparency information.

Yeah just tested in Firefox and I see what you mean, never done it that way before as I always do a Save Image As

Just tested copying to mspaint and it does the same thing so it's not a PS issue, you could be right about the clipboard storing it without transparency!

I read that copying and pasting doesn't support transparency in Windows

Last edited:
To be honest it isn't a big issue - just that sometimes I don't need a copy on my HD - just need to get an image into PS. My HD housekeeping is so bad that I often forget to clean up! - I will just have to learn to be more organised :cheesygrin:

Cheers

John

Back