What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pen Tool: Make Selection via Right Click not working

James Pyle

I am not really a "newbie" but not a veteran either. I assume this problem is something VERY simple that I am overlooking. Never ran into this one before.

Been working on a document for a few days, no issues but now suddenly when drawing paths with Pen tool, when I right click, make selection, nothing happens.
I can still click the selection box in the tool bar and it works but right click context menu it just does nothing.

PS CS6

Thanks in advance :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello James and welcome to PSG.

I trust that you meant "Pen" too in your title?

Have you tried resetting your Pen Tool?

Right click on the Pen Toll icon in the upper left hand corner and select "reset tool".

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 3.09.31 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
Pane tool? :biglaff: You're using Windows then eh?

Whatever....in cases like this its often solved quicker with a full UI screen shot.

Can you post a full UI screen shot with whatever tool it is you are having trouble with selected?

Regards.
MrToM.

Damn that MrSam.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with the Penguin Master (MrToM), an image is worth a thousand words.

Also, are you closing the path your trying to make a selection of?

James Pyle

Did I type Pane? Lol. Sorry today I turned 38 and it's been a long week..not much sleep :)

Yes Pen tool, and resetting was the first thing I tried. I used to have issues like this when memory was a problem (where things start acting wonky) but I have 16gb ram and this file isn't THAT large to have that problem.

Yes I close the path, as mentioned when I click the "make selection" button in the toolbar the selection works, only right clicking doesn't. I will add a screenshot momentarily.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
James, have you tried resetting your preferences? It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

James Pyle

Well I just took a screenshot, but then I forgot I had not restarted Photoshop and so tried that and it worked.

Now I feel like an idiot :) Still not sure why PS goes wonky like that sometimes.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great, glad it's working for you! Happy Birthday!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Been a long while since I have been through Forney. Used to go through there once or twice a year to visit friends in Mineola. Used to fish Fork every now and then as well. Don't get that way much anymore.

James Pyle

Been a long while since I have been through Forney. Used to go through there once or twice a year to visit friends in Mineola. Used to fish Fork every now and then as well. Don't get that way much anymore.

I used to fish at Fork with my dad growing up. He still fishes there sometimes although they go to Ray Hubbard mostly now since it's close.