What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Challenge week # 12

Vafann

Guru
Ok guys, I have been trying to think up a challenge that hasn’t been done yet. What I haven´t seen much at all here, is anyone making any vector shapes with the PEN TOOL ! (Ok don´t scream).

I have avoided that thing as much as I can,though I have used it to cut things out with, I haven´t used it right, and haven´t gotten the handle on making those Belzier curves.

I don´t know how much of a challenge this will be for others, I´m sure that most have used the pen tool a lot more than I have, but I have never really seen anyone make any vector images with it.

I have founds 3 YouTube tutorials, that go from the absolute basics, simple shapes, to a little more challenging, tracing a pepper, to vector tracing a portrait.

I will provide a picture of a pepper here for that tutorial, but what I would like to see is us getting creative with the thing, Logos, portraits, characters, fish lol, whatever.

Ok, tutorials and pepper. J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrtyNmp3A4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xypTvrSRIIk&feature=related

http://www.lazymask.com/vector-tutorial.html

0006637039T-849x565.jpg

Oh yeah, and you don´t have to wait for me to start because I am totally lost at this and will need some practice before I can post anything lol. :)

You readed my mind.
I was thinking about making easy objects in Illustrator or PS shapes.

but I have never really seen anyone make any vector images with it.
I can't imagine live without pen tool :)
Okey i haven't create many thing from scratch but followed few tutorials.

So i'm in.

I will try something later (i mean days) but for now two old but loved ones from AW:) (PS shapes)

seniors-albums-avatar-wars-picture5318-ishield.png
seniors-albums-avatar-wars-picture5317-igrumpy.gif

And one logo with which i try to participate in logo design competition - failed of course but was good practise (Illustrator):
derbyJackpot2.jpgDerbyJackPot.jpg

OMG Senior S! I´m sitting here trying to trace a circle and getting it all wrong LOL! :)

Uh.. there seems to be a little problem with the pepper YouTube, it stops after 10 minutes and the isn´t really done yet. I got to as far as it went, and then I tried to save the thing I made, but it turned out kind of pale and weird. I will have to see if I can find a better tutorial, This stuff isn´t easy lol.

Pepper-trace-1.jpg

I´m sitting here trying to trace a circle and getting it all wrong LOL! :)
Hmm...why want to trace a circle?

Here some more.

This one was made for my wife's culinary blog (PS):

cake1.png cake-button.png

And this one i tried to make to congratulate one member promoted to moderator but didn't finished (as many other things).
Don't know what's really wrong with it. Maybe need some graphics elements. Anyway, i'm not satisfied with them but don't think i'll ever finish them.
But it's still shapes and pen tool :)

badge1-1.pngbadge1-3.png

P.S. By the way. That's brings question.
Is it legit to post in challange material which aren't made for particular challange but fits it's format? :)

Yes senior it is ok, as it shows what the challenge is about, as long as the poster posting it DID create it first.

I got to as far as it went, and then I tried to save the thing I made, but it turned out kind of pale and weird.
Haven't you just left opacity lowored (no 100%) for shapes?

And i don't understand why use shape tool for trace instead of pen tool? For my eyes it's kinda hard to follow all details when shapes color overlays that details.
Okey, you see result at moment you making that shape but still it don't worth loosing details. Just saying.

Haven't you just left opacity lowored (no 100%) for shapes?

And i don't understand why use shape tool for trace instead of pen tool? For my eyes it's kinda hard to follow all details when shapes color overlays that details.
Okey, you see result at moment you making that shape but still it don't worth loosing details. Just saying.

Oh, yes, maybe I did forget to change back the opacity lol. I don´t know why you would use the shape tool instead of the the pen tool lol. I don´t know anything, I am having huge problems with those handle things that are supposed to make curves, and I don´t undertsand how you are supposed to save things, like in what format. I can´t understand how you have been able to make those great vectors. I think maybe this challenge was a bad idea, it´s supposed to be fun lol, and this isn´t :)

Sorry, i know i'm showing off.
But just this one for last (actually i have only few good left but i'll stop it anyway) :)

From participating in PSG logo contest (AI):
View attachment 8898

You don´t have to stop, I´m amazed at how you can get things that way, it would be great if you would give some tips, or maybe make a short tutorial even. :)

I don´t know why you would use the shape tool instead of the the pen tool lol.
I meant that in that youtube tutorial man is using shape tool to make shape but i find more easy to make shape with pen tool (you can switch it in options panel from shape/pen tool) and then make shape from that path.
In that case you wouldn't have to change opacity to see what actually pathing.

I think maybe this challenge was a bad idea, it´s supposed to be fun lol, and this isn´t :)
That's excelent idea, i think. And about fun...well, it never is till success.

it would be great if you would give some tips, or maybe make a short tutorial even.
Oh, i'm only started to learn (meaning creation not tool itself). I can try answer to some question/problem but not go for theoretical tips.

But can share tutorils i used for some of the them.

For shied&swords. For swords i used this one Design a Medieval Sword & Shield in Photoshop | Bloom Design Blog

For cake button used this on Button Icons Tutorial by ~Groogie on deviantART

Last edited:
Thank you Senior S! Yes these sound like a lot more fun than tracing a pepper, but I think I have to learn how to get that one right first lol. :)

oh god! i am shit with the pen tool, can i use the shape presets instead?

Alex, you have a brain, use it, taking the easy way out doesn't necessarily make life any easier you know ;)

Back