What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS memory settings with 3gb of RAM

petercook80

I have just upgraded the RAM on my system to 3gb (from 1.5gb) and would like to know if the following is okay. (This is on Windows XP Pro 32bit)
Photoshop CS now see's a max available RAM of 1777mb (this I understand is because of the limit CS has on memory), now because I have a total of 3gb, I have assigned 100% of this to Photoshop CS (i.e.: the full 1777mb). I presume this is okay as I have another 1gb or so for Windows XP, so I now don't need to stick to the general convention of 70% to Photoshop CS and the rest for Windows XP (as I had don’t before with 1.5gb RAM)
If anyone could give any opinions on this it would be appreciated.

Well so far so good, I have cranked up some big images (about 1.6gb of my 1.77gb photoshop allocation) to push it a bit, and it all seems to work. My plugins (mainly Photokit Sharpener and Neat Image) still work and I have also had Canon DPP open as well. The only time it slowed was if I transferred a second image from DPP to Photoshop (so Photoshop had two open images both transferred from DPP) it still worked but the second transfer was rather slow. But that’s not an issue as I never do that anyway, I just wanted to try and break it!

Back