What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop scanned black line to pen path

redpepper303

Hello, for a school project we have to make a outline of all the classes. One way of doing it
was to manually draw lines around each head, and then scan that and import it to photoshop.
I'd like to convert these lines to a path, so that i can apply a brush to it. The problem is I don't know how.
To sum it up to a comprehensible question: How do I convert a black line from a scanned paper to a pen path (as in the path created by a pen).
Thanks for any help and replies!

Once you open your document in Photoshop, ctl/cmd + click on the layer thumbnail. Open the paths palette. At the bottom of the panel are a group of icons. The one in the middle - hover and you can see what it does - will make a path from the selection you made with your ctl click. Then you can stroke it with a brush, etc.

Be sure the path itself is selected, not greyed out. Right click on it and select an option. Set your brush tool first: soft, hard, size, color, etc.

You can also go to edit>stroke and select width and color there.

The nice thing about the right click is if you have a line you want to vary in size. To do that, your brush has to have some degree of softness. Then when you choose the right click, the window will come up and you'll see a check box "simulate pressure."

I suggest just playing around with the different options. Just be aware that selections don't always translate into perfect paths and you may need to fix or accept them!

Back