What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Tutorials - Learning The Tools

I had an idea it would be under Preferences, but your attached thumbnail is very complicated to me,and i do not no what it means? I have had a look at Preferences about twice and i do not alter anything. Just looking at your snapshot puts me off. Forgive me for being ignorant,but how does this learn you the Tools?
Is there a place for example how to use the- Pen Tool Tutorial. One other thing what`s this about 1000,25,and 1Tb drive. How has this got to do with learning the Tools?
Bucket

I do the same thing Elmo and never overwrite a file.
A million history states isn't going to help you if the power goes out or a drive crashes.

Bucket that number refers to history states.
Every step you take, every tool you use, every adjustment puts an entry in the History panel.
If you're set to 20 it will store 20 entires and then start over writing the old ones as you go on.

A larger number is better but you're using computer memory.
You need to find a balance that suites your work style and computer specifications.

................... ,but how does this learn you the Tools?
.......................... One other thing what`s this about 1000,25,and 1Tb drive. How has this got to do with learning the Tools?
Bucket

It doesn't Bucket but you asked about the History states early on in this thread and this thread swerved in a that direction.

We can help you with the tools.
Check out or tutorials, there's a lot of good stuff there.

Post specific questions about 1 tool at a time in the General Photoshop Board

Here's a tutorial for the pen tool to get you started
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...hotoshop-pen-tool-video-tutorial-tutcast.html

Thanks a lot for the link, Photoshop Tool Basics. Just one look at the site says yes this will help me.
Bucket

I have never used the history tool. I made a mistake,it wasn`t the history tool it was the history panel above the layers and swatches. Example - start off with a photo,then you work on it,and you have done something you do not like,and then you use that history panel or whatever it`s called. This sometimes only takes you so far back
and you loose the work you want if you go back to the photo. I hope you can understand what i have said.
Bucket

Thanks for the help but i do not touch anything in Photoshop preferences. I have had a look at some things like the Curser,but thats about it. I am not sure what you mean History states in Photoshop Preferences. I will have a look at that. Bucket

I am not sure what you mean History states in Photoshop Preferences. I will have a look at that. Bucket

It changes how may times you can go back in the History Panel.

These are the panels including the History Panel.
The default setting is twenty I think.

Panels.jpg

You can increase that number in Preferences|Performance.

pref.jpg

I had a go looking at your screen shot. I altered the numbers just a few to see what it was like,and as you described you are right. I went back and reset it to what it was. The history entries nearly went off the page. Thanks a lot.
Bucket

Hello,

If i create a shape with the pen tool in PS CS5, how am i then able to move the shape on the canvas, also what does "snap to" mean?

Thanks!

Hi goodboy. It would be best if you open a thread rather than post within someone's thread. Your message query may not be seen by others.

In answer to your question, click on the pouit tool and drag your shape in the canvass.. Snap to means the object you move will snap in place next to an object, guideline, grid or border in the canvass.

Back