What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE help...Photoshop CS5 Freezing on file open..

nafeasonto

When i go to open a file in Photoshop CS5, the program freezes and goes to not responding. When I run it as administrator it works fine.
The problem is there are certain add-ons that were added to Photoshop that will not appear when running as administrator
What is weirder is that Photoshop was running fine for months, and then suddenly started freezing. This is a user account logged in to a domain, but Phoptoshop is installed locally.
What is causing this?
We even tried a reinstall of the program as well, this is making no sense.
Even sometimes too, when I go to check for updates, there are none as I installed them all, after getting out of the check update screen it then freezes too.
What is going on?
This is a user logged into our domain. It's been instaled on their computer for awhile and everything has been working for fine, months before I got here. This started happening in the last month.
Their system is Windows 7 64 bit 8GB DDR3ram HD 6450 Vcard

I am the network admin, and this is happening on a clients computer. And it literally started happening out of no where, I have touched her permissions, and neither did the IT guy.

There are several other people who use Photoshop, and it works fine for them. This client is the only one. What could have possibly changed?

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Is it just one person on the PC that has an issue, for example if someone else logs onto the PC do they have the same issue or does it work fine for them. If that's the case it could be an issue with the user profile on the PC. You could try deleting the profile by going into System, Advanced System Setting and deleting the profile from there, get them to log on again to create a new profile.

You could also try adding the user to the power user group on the PC and see if that helps

Last edited:

nafeasonto

Is it just one person on the PC that has an issue, for example if someone else logs onto the PC do they have the same issue or does it work fine for them. If that's the case it could be an issue with the user profile on the PC. You could try deleting the profile by going into System, Advanced System Setting and deleting the profile from there, get them to log on again to create a new profile.

You could also try adding the user to the power user group on the PC and see if that helps

Going to have to have to get them to back up all their files on their network drive, as they don't have roaming profiles. What I will try first is making a new user in AD, and login to the domain on the problem PC and see if the issue persists.

But I don't see why the profile would matter in this case.

When a file is open in photoshop, what exactly happens in the background? What foldres in windows does it access?

gedstar

Guru
Not exactly sure whats going on, but it's possible that the local user profile has become corrupt, I seen it happen with other applications where I work, creating a new profile has corrected the problem in most of the cases.
Just one 2 pence worth!

Hybrus

reformat the PC??

nafeasonto

I deleted the preference files for the 64 bit and 32 BIT version of Photoshop is the AppData directory, and it fixed it.

Done.

No one across 4 different message boards suggested this to me.

gedstar

Guru
The preferences file is stored in the user profile, so in theory my suggestion would have fixed your issue

You could have also used this method to reset the preferences
Holding down the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys while starting up Photoshop will cause a dialog box to appear. You will be prompted to delete your Photoshop settings file