What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems merging 2 photos

Andyfrog321

I have used photomerge exposure before to combine a few different angled photos of the same thing to create an arty image.

But when I tried this again today it doesn't look the same and doesn't seem to work at all.

What I'm trying to do:

I have 1 photo.

I rotated this photo by 180 to make it upside down.

I then saved it as a new image.

Now what I want to do is put the 2 photos together, one on top of the other. (i've tried using different layers and opacity but it comes out faded and bright)

Ofcourse, with different images, this will always turn out different.
Because one setting worked on one image, it doesn't mean it will look good on all images,
since there are differences in color, shapes and lighting.
So for each photo, you need to find a new good looking setting.
You can play around with the layer styles to find one you like, of layer opacity alone isn't enough.

If it came out brighter than expected, you probably accidentally had the blending mode set to "screen" or one of it's cousins.

If that's the problem, instead, just set the blending mode to "normal" and the opacity to 50%, and you should be ok, at least with respect to brightness. The only problem is that if one overlays two normal photos in this way, both will look "ghostly" because you can see right through the objects in one to the objects in the other. Here's an example of a starting image, and then the same image overlaid by a flipped version of itself at 50% opacity.

Attachments

• IMG_6363cr2-acr-ps01a_650px_wide-01jpg-acr0-ps01a-00-starting_image.jpg
    IMG_6363cr2-acr-ps01a_650px_wide-01jpg-acr0-ps01a-00-starting_image.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6363cr2-acr-ps01a_650px_wide-01jpg-acr0-ps01a-02_50pct_no_mask.jpg
    IMG_6363cr2-acr-ps01a_650px_wide-01jpg-acr0-ps01a-02_50pct_no_mask.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
And here are the same two layers, except that the 2nd layer is at 100% opacity, but only the condos on the flipped 2nd layer were masked to show.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• IMG_6363cr2-acr-ps01a_650px_wide-01jpg-acr0-ps01a-03_100pct_and_mask.jpg
    IMG_6363cr2-acr-ps01a_650px_wide-01jpg-acr0-ps01a-03_100pct_and_mask.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 13

Back