What's new

Question about differences in transfering masks to selection and back

peta62

Guru
Hello,
I considered posting this in the newbies section, since I am sure it will be trivial for some, so please feel free to move it there if you think it should be there. But please explain me what I try to figure for a long time.
I make layer mask which is a bit fuzzy, so it merges picture from both layers in some parts. Then I want to save it in order to use it later somewhere, so I convert the mask into a selection. But the selection does not hold the fuzziness of original mask, so when I use it as a mask somewhere else, it varies from original.
I attached the psd file with example what I mean, I have saved mask of the Layer 1 as selection, loaded into Layer 2, created mask, but it is not the same, when I switch on and off visibility of the Layer 2 the picture changes.
Is there a way to make the selection to hold all the information about the mask including fuzziness exactly ?
Thank you,
Peter
View attachment maskselection.psd

SCTRWD

Power User
Your masks and selections work perfect.

When you switch off visibility of the Layer 2 you see the Layer 1 over the Background.

When you switch on visibility of the Layer 2 you see "combined" effect of Layer 1 and Layer 2 over the Background. Sure thing it's different:) You should switch off visibility of the Layer 1 to get the same effect.

peta62

Guru
It makes perfect sense, thank you.

One more question when I think about it. It means I cannot trust "marching ants" selection display and rather use other way unless I have only hard edges, correct ?

peta62

Guru
That is what I expected, thank you very much. Maybe I should also read Photoshop books, not only watch tutorials. Anybody knows how to push at least 48 hours into one day ?