What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question on cloning

heidijelly

I'm pretty new at photoshop. I have some really pretty actions I am using for my sisters engagement photos.

My question is, I am trying to clone out strands of my sisters hair on a background layer, but when I use an action, I cannot view both of these together, the cloned out hair and the action.

I've tried cloning on the background layer to "ALL LAYERS", doesn't work.

and also, when I do a background layer to clone, it only slightly covers up the hair strands, even on 100% opacity.

I finally tried cloning on the actual background layer, but its not allowed.

I'm soo lost. :(

Tioga

you could duplicate the background layer... you can then edit the duplicate.

select the background layer then CTRL J to duplcate it...... on a PC

Ron

heidijelly

Yes, I've already tried this. It leaves part of the hair strands there, but the opacity is on 100%.

dv8

Maybe it worth posting the image your trying to alter and let someone else on here do it for you then explain how they did it as a mini tutorial.

That way you have chance to learn and so do other new users. The problem you have is the same as the rest of us, its your description of what you want to achieve. You cannot beat an actual image and usually there is someone that has a shortcut solution that makes the rest of us look like amateurs. Once you learn this you can pass it on to other users and make the world of PS a happy place :).

heidijelly

Good Idea. :)

How my layers look
[1st pic"]

Original Photo
[2nd pic"]

1. I copied the background to a layer called "HAIR STRANDS" to clone out the hair strands. When "HAIR STRANDS" and "BACKGROUND" are clicked w/ the little eyeball, it looks great. (100% opacity, ALL LAYERS, unclicked button to make sure cloning works on adjustment layers)
[3rd pic]

2. I added an action to make the picture pretty. The layers are called Sentimental and 1-click color. I can only see this action when I un-click the "HAIR STRANDS".
[4th pic]

So, in general, I can see the edited hair strands when all 4 layers are clicked or when only background and hairstrands are clicked.
To see the action, I have to un-click Hair strands.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

Thank you for any help you can give!

Attachments

• ALL 4.jpg
    ALL 4.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1
  • BACKGROUND ONLY.jpg
    BACKGROUND ONLY.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 1