What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove red ink remnants from a colour photo

• Yes, all adjustment layer come with masks.
  • You can open a Hue/Sat adjustment layer and make changes, and then open another Hue/Sat layer right above it. That is often good practice because later, if you change your mind about any of them, it's easier to go back and change them individually.
  • When you say that the second Hue/Sat layer doesn't seem to work, I'm not sure why it wouldn't. The only thing I can think of is this: let's say that in your first Hue/Sat layer you fully desaturated the Red channel. Now, if you try to do that again with a new Hue/Sat layer, nothing will happen because it was already fully desaturated to begin with. (An analogy would be trying to paint black on something that's already black—you can't get it more black than it already is.)

• Yes, all adjustment layer come with masks.
  • You can open a Hue/Sat adjustment layer and make changes, and then open another Hue/Sat layer right above it. That is often good practice because later, if you change your mind about any of them, it's easier to go back and change them individually.
  • When you say that the second Hue/Sat layer doesn't seem to work, I'm not sure why it wouldn't. The only thing I can think of is this: let's say that in your first Hue/Sat layer you fully desaturated the Red channel. Now, if you try to do that again with a new Hue/Sat layer, nothing will happen because it was already fully desaturated to begin with. (An analogy would be trying to paint black on something that's already black—you can't get it more black than it already is.)
Thanks will try again tomorrow, will open several different adjustment layers one at a time and see what happens, can’t see why it would be a problem, might just be me 😂 will update tomorrow hopefully 🤞

Have restored 4 photos now, with the red ink discolouration, but this one may beat me, wonder if someone can suggest the best steps I should take, thanks.....I uploaded as TIFF bit it converted to a PNG, not sure if that matters or if there is a site I can upload as a TIFF file.....https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/1155/ECAgNe.png

john wheeler asked me to upload an image.....that was a while ago, but do need some advice, thanks

Last edited:
My go-to tool for this would be the clone tool. I selected areas of the suit, for instance, and then filled in with the clone tool from similar areas. Did that on both suits and on the grass areas.
For her dress, I'd say the healing brush and then the blur tool to calm down that rough surface that appears.
Here's some quick work I did using the above - by no means finished and could still use a bit more work but just wanted to show what's possible...
- Jeff

three friends edited.jpg

Thanks, I usually use a mixture of tools now, clone brush, heal brush, sometimes the spot repair brush, but the spot repair often blurs the result, so tend not to use that much. Recently been trying the content aware brush, seems very handy, problem with he clone brush is it tends to leave filled in circles....I’ll take some time and patience, this I believe the worst of all the photos I have to do, so downhill after this one.

The healing brush tools, I've found, are good for small areas and spot repair where the tool has a larger surrounding area to pull from, ie small blemishes on a face.
For larger repairs, I stay with the clone tool. Keep the hardness down and also lower the flow to blend into areas. Possibly what's happening is you're working with too hard of a brush/clone tool and that's why you're getting hard edges around the areas you've repaired.
I've also found, especially when working around edges, use the pen tool or one of the selection tools, to select an area to repair. This creates a "border" so when you're filling in, it doesn't go beyond
the edges of the selection. Gives you a bit more freedom.
This isn't a tough image to repair. It does take some time, patience, attention, and flexibility using the tools.. And step away from time to time - your eyes get tired and it's difficult to make an accurate repair.
Often, when working on images you're attempting to restore, put some work in, shut down, and then look at it again the next morning. You'll end up seeing things much differently.
Just some thoughts from an eternal student... :cheesygrin:
- Jeff

Thanks, will try the options you suggest to the clone tool, just found out that the healing / spot repair brushes have content aware options in the top panel, plus some other options, every time I learn or discover something it opens up a whole lot more.....thanks

Back