What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

removing background

pixiegirl72

I hope you can help me with this. What I'm trying to do is remove the blue background and just have the white lighthouse and wave (and the beam if possible but if not I'll make one). The ultimate goal is to put it on a blue background that will be the letterhead for my friends business. Just as an FYI he did purchase this graphic.

Every time I try to do it it's horribly jagged and I can't get anything that looks even halfway decent.

Thanks for any help.

Susan

Attachments

• lh.jpg
    lh.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 26

MrToM

Guru
Thats an incredibly small image but still....something like this?

light_house_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
...The ultimate goal is to put it on a blue background...
Just following your original specs...

...but it makes no odds, you can have whatever 'background' you want.

No, it wasn't hard to do.

Do you want the easy way, the slightly more advanced way or the "jings....I need a stiff drink" way?

What techniques have you tried so far so I don't repeat it.

(And is that the full sized image?......you said a 'little' larger as if you are teasing us!)

Regards.
MrToM.

pixiegirl72

You did such a fantastic job I want you to do it again, then tell me how you did it. I just tried to use that background eraser and then tried using the magic wand but mine was all jagged. Clearly I'm not doing something right.

xxoo, susan!!!!!

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

OK...this is probably not the most accurate way but I feel its a way you will feel comfortable with.
Notice I don't touch the background at all.....:thumbsup:

3:36 & No Audio.

Any questions just ask.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

pixiegirl72

I'm laughing but only because this always happens to me (and if I don't laugh I'll probably cry). My PS5 doesn't look anything like your video. At second 4 I was lost cuz mine doesn't work that way. I did manage to click on the layer and duplicate it. Then you took the magic wand but again I don't that that thing called point sample or whatever at the top. Mine was somehow completely anti anti aliased. That pen tool makes curved lines for me. I'm lost this is clearly way above my skill level. I'll try it again but its hard when it looks differently and I'm not sure I have the same tools selected cuz when you hold down the pen or magic wand there are a other choices under there.

Frustrating.

Susan

MrToM

Guru
PS5?

Well....if I'd have known that.....:biglaff:

OK....I'll see what I can do.....bear with me...this may take a while but hang on in there.

Be right back.

Regards.
MrToM.

pixiegirl72

OMG you are so patient! I actually did follow along more or less to the point where I have the lighthouse, I just don't get how to do the light beacon!

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

Right....having found a trial copy of PS5 and tried again it IS possible to do everything shown in the video.

There are of course differences but its all there...

lighthouse_PS5_MT_01.png

First make sure you have the 'Options' panel, (window), open.....WINDOW > SHOW OPTIONS

The tools 'flyout' will appear just as in the video if you click and hold on them...gradient, direct selection, pen etc etc.

You should be able to follow the video but adjusting to the PS5 layout.

I can do another video with PS5 if you need it but I think once you have the 'Options' panel open you'll be able to enter the same values as I did originally.

One thing I did find is that the 'tolerance' level for PS5 needed to be higher, around 30, for the same effect.....its a little less 'tolerant' shall we say.

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT:
Added image.

Last edited: