What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Invisible Objects (not layers!)

Axxaer

Hi everyone :)

I'm new here, and not very experienced with photoshop (though I can do most things I need to do). I tried searching this, but could only find pages talking about how to delete hidden layers...

I have made a logo which is white and red on a black background. I need to make the background invisible so that it can be used on a different coloured shirt. Unfortunately, I wasn't anticipating this during the designing process and I have a lot of messy black areas on multiple layers that aren't visible when the background is black, but show up when it is removed. It isn't ideal to use the wand or eraser to delete these areas (but that's the backup plan).

What I want to do seems simple, but I cant work it out :(

I set the logo layers (with the black parts I want to remove and white parts I want to keep) to 'Lighten', which makes all the parts I don't want invisible (even on, say, a yellow background) until I actually remove the background. Can I make what that layer looks like in 'Lighten' mode, the way it actually looks with the layer set as 'Normal' so I can then delete the background without the black bits reappearing?

Hope that made sense... Thanks for any help! :)

iDad

Guru
to me it sounds like all you need to do is close or shut off background and save in a format that supports transparency but like Steve said ,a visual would help

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I'm assuming it's all white & red as you say...... flatten the logo layers and use the select color range set to maximum to select whatever black there is in the image.... with the eraser tool , just delete whatever unwanted smudge there is outside , around and along the edges of the logo....

View attachment 3350

Hope this works for you in the same way it works for me when I'm in that situation.....

Last edited:

illmnxmaiev04

Once mastered, this effect is a superb way to get attention. I've seen some pictures that having invisible effects, such as a cyclist biking without a bike or a rock climber, climbing without a mountain. LOL

acekin

I am assuming that the entire logo with the black background is done on a single pixel layer. If that is the case, there is no quick way of eliminating the black background. That said, if the logo is not too intricate, a nice selection can easily be made and other background colors can be shown. My approach would be:
1. To make the background a layer, double click on the layer icon and Photoshop will suggest the layer name Layer 0. I suggest you name it "Logo"
2. Using the quick selection tool, select the black background. Then press Shift-Ctrl-I to invert the selection
3. Click on the white disk at the bottom of the Layers palette to add a layer mask. This will eliminate the background
4. If you are using CS5, you are in luck, click on the layer mask and then "Mask/Mask edge" and refine the edge using the smart radius.

You may need to experiment with the parameters, but this will give you a nice clean image against any background you may place below it. If you are not using CS5, you may need to play with the mask layer using Gausssian blur to soften the edges, or before you add the layer mask, feather the selection by a few pixels depending on the image size.

The moral of the story, do not create the background on the same layer as your image if different colored backgrounds are a possibility.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I am assuming that the entire logo with the black background is done on a single pixel layer. If that is the case, there is no quick way of eliminating the black background. That said, if the logo is not too intricate, a nice selection can easily be made and other background colors can be shown. My approach would be:
1. To make the background a layer, double click on the layer icon and Photoshop will suggest the layer name Layer 0. I suggest you name it "Logo"
2. Using the quick selection tool, select the black background. Then press Shift-Ctrl-I to invert the selection
3. Click on the white disk at the bottom of the Layers palette to add a layer mask. This will eliminate the background
4. If you are using CS5, you are in luck, click on the layer mask and then "Mask/Mask edge" and refine the edge using the smart radius.

You may need to experiment with the parameters, but this will give you a nice clean image against any background you may place below it. If you are not using CS5, you may need to play with the mask layer using Gausssian blur to soften the edges, or before you add the layer mask, feather the selection by a few pixels depending on the image size.

The moral of the story, do not create the background on the same layer as your image if different colored backgrounds are a possibility.

I agree 100% with this one , acekin.....

Axxaer

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I couldn't really follow your answer dv8, so I'll attach some pics to better explain what I mean. I was reluctant because the logo belongs to the group I'm designing it for, but I just greyed a section out.

Image 1 - the logo on a black background. look like it's meant to

Image 2 - on a yellow bg (just for example). still looks like it's meant to (with layer set to 'lighten')

Image 3 - no bg = black bits visible that I don't want

So I want it to look like it looks in image 1/2 with no bg. Is there a way I can do this that will be easier/cleaner than using the eraser or magic wand?

Untitled1b.jpgUntitled2b.jpgUntitled3b.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Sorry for slow response... slow connection to download images....

It's alright... no need to include their names...

from what I could see... it's the black around the G-clef and a black pixel at the tail....

just do what I outlined a while back... make the red l layer invisible.... from what I can see from the thumbnail in logo layer is white cleff + text + black pixels..... go to MENU>SEECT>COLOR RANGE .... and follow use my settings above...

as you can see.... I did it with your image... but of course its the merged image from you... but your logo layer only has the clef....

View attachment 3369

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
talk about slow connection.... had to post this quick before you get impatient and disappear... lol...

as I was saying.... make the red layer and black layer invisible, logo layer active... and go to select color range.....

TELL ME HOW IT GOES.... I'll be right here....

Axxaer

I don't get it, are you being sarcastic? What's wrong with me being surprised with how well something simple works? This is the newbie forum..............................

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I don't get it, are you being sarcastic? What's wrong with me being surprised with how well something simple works? This is the newbie forum..............................

I was acknowledging your thanks..... I'm surprised with your reaction as well...lol... unless you wanted more info of why and how did that work.... Nothing's wrong with you... It's a curiousity of a newbie and that is good - you learn more thoroughly...... no biggie...

Select color range , as the name suggests, selects a color's range or spectrum depending on your settings and what you select. Say u select red, it will select all pigments of red in the image - from light to dark.... Tho there is a sort of drawback, most especially if the color you select blends into another color. Hence , some of the pixels next to it will be included in the selection. .... smudges or slightest pixel dots of red, magenta, pink, even orange....... and when deleted, leaves you with a dead or dull color...

In your case, the logo layer was a straightforward white with black or dark smudges . Had you chosen white, Color Range would have selected all the shades of white and when deleted leaves you with black and slight dark smudges. and I suspected you only had 2 or 3 solid colors in your logo....

This is something I always say .... There are many ways to doing a certain task in PS.... I could have suggested the magic wand ... It will also do but may affect the G-clef in ways that may not be as expected.

And I have to say that my procedure may not work in other situations all depending on the image at hand. Had the conditions of your image been different, you may have to use acekin's suggestion. Or even Steve's.... Or other suggestions if ours fail. But we didn't know how to help unless we see what's in your monitor.

My moral of the story... The more you know about the individual functions of PS and the limitations of these functions, you will be able to figure out what move to take.....

Hope this helps you.... keep seeking and you will find.....

Axxaer

No worries, I just misinterpreted your use of dots as sarcasm cos that's the way I read it. Nevermind, cheers for the explanation