What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring old photos from DISC film

wildcat018

Hey everyone. One more question for you all. I am still working on restoring some old photos, and this one has stumped me. I have several rolls that look like this and I have tried and tried and can't get this any better. The help you all gave me last time on the adjustment layers was extremely helpful, so I thought I would try again. Once again I am using CS5. Anything you can tell me to help would be great! I am posting the original picture. Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• Scanned Image-595.jpg
    Scanned Image-595.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 13
Wow. sometimes a picture is lost without painting it. try duplicating layer then top layer mode in "liner burn" for starts that should give you more definition to go from as a start........ a challenge indeed good luck

You might get something barely usable converting to B&W but as for color, there is nothing in the green channel to recover.

as mentioned before... you need to start with a higher res. scan...
just not enough pixels to deal with...
duplicated about six times, using the multiply blend mode...
increased contrast, opened mid-tones with levels... removed color...
you could start "repainting" color from here...
again... detail is lost, because of the scan resolution being too low...

Attachments

• Restoring_bw.jpg
    Restoring_bw.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 27
Your file is way to small at 37kb.
Post the largest possible file this forum allows to help our members, help you.

That can be a 20MB PSD file.
You can upload JPG's up to 1920x1280 pixels.

Take advantage of that.
The effort by our members is the same if you post a low or high quality image.
The quality you get back is a night and day difference.

I am not sure if it is the resolution on the scanner, or just a really bad picture to begin with. The scanner I am using is 4800 x 9600, but the print itself is that blurry. I don't think the disc film this came from was very good quality. If you have any suggestions on scanning it in better, let me know. Thanks for all the advice =)

scan it in b&W see if that helps
with higher resolution

are you scanning a print? or... scanning the film?
when you say disc film, are you referring to the pinwheel type film?
if, so, that film was smaller than 110 film...

not to be a wise guy but "sometimes a picture is lost without painting it" paint it, increase the size and get busy with the brushes is the only hope I see unless you prefer it as is

okay I was wrong...... last post.

This image bugged me I had to take a stab at it

there may be hope yet........... here is the psd with layers used (not all I didn't think to save all before merging) by looking at layers and modes you get an idea of what I did......View attachment 2364
heres the colors I pulled out or added, with just solid layers of different colors
before
2335d1298678121t-restoring-old-photos-disc-film-scanned-image-595-jpg

after
Screenshot2011-02-27at10226PM.png

Last edited:
better resolution would do the trick I was surprised to get it that good. looks good Steve

Idad, Thank you so very much. I am going to keep working on it! I know my mom lost a lot of memories, so its worth trying to do whatever I can.

Smalltrees, I have both the film and the prints and they are both about the same. Yes the really old disc film, I think you are correct, I think it was smaller than 110.

Steve, that is soooo much better. What did you do??

The real question is what did iDad do.
I can't duplicate his results, I tried.

Without his image I had no place to start.
Here's the PSD, you can see the corrections I made.

The top layer, Layer 1, is just a combination of all the other layers.
I did that because the last step I did was run the image through Neat Image.

Turn that off and toggle the adjustments on and off to see how they effect the image.

Norm, what did you do?

Attachments

• RedPhoto.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 8
oh boy...........lets see I
duplicated > usedGaussian Blur at about .5px on dup layer >merged> I think a few times then used another dup layer in linear burn mode merged > then used a few solidcolor layers in overlay and I think pinlight merged> then I did a linear burn again and those colors in the psd I posted, I may have forgotten a step or 2 it was more of an experiment I i should have saved history... but if I did that with everything I'd be saving to much junk lol

Back