What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse Engineer Anyone's Color Grade in Photoshop

thebestcpu

Guru
Thanks for sharing the tutorial video and will log that away for possible use. Lots of great applications. There are a couple limitations to of which to be aware'

1) The basis of color grading is starting from a normal white balanced image. So as with any color grading application, for it to come our right in application, you need to start with an image that is properly exposed and white balanced. That is also the assumption in the reverse engineering in the "degrading" portion or getting back to the properly exposed and properly white balanced image.

2) This tutorial covers the types of color grading that can be covered by a one dimensional adjustment with each color channel as with the Curves Adjustment Layer. These translate into what is knows as 1D LUT color grading. However, if the color grading was more complex than what can be achieved by a Curves Adjustment Layer. If color grading involves a color channels being influence by the other color channels (e.g. as can be done with a Channel Mixer adjustment Layer) the tutorial will not properly reverse engineer. The type of Color Grading where the color channel adjustments are not independent of each other is done with what is called a 3D LUT.

I love the idea of reverse engineering for the more complex 3D LUT case yet have not see that (maybe someone else has).

For more information of 1D LUT and 3D LUT color grading here is an article that may help:

https://lutify.me/essential-steps-in-color-grading-when-using-luts/

Thanks again for listing the tutorial as I find it very useful, it just is not a general solution to all Color Grading reverse engineering.
John Wheeler

PS - Love the enthusiasm and presentation in the tutorial Ross, very engaging. Will be looking at your other tutorials