What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleepy fish in the depth of the ocean - Digital illustration

jkemp

While I mostly do creative retouching for a living, I've found myself very interested in illustration work lately...

I realize this forum focuses more on the photographic side of PS, but I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about stuff like this... 100% photoshop, of course.

What do you think ?

9973_Poisson_Endormi_04_1080.jpg

Argos

Guru
Looks awesome! unfortunately, I can't draw,:cry: i tried to learn but i have no patience for that :laugh:.

The only thing it looks off for me, is the teeths on the left, to me need some shadowing, looking at the light.

Regards,
David.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is very nice, I like the style.

Seems as though I have seen this image somewhere on the net. Did you ever make a tutorial about this painting? Maybe it's because he reminds me of Minion from Megamind.
minion-megamind-8.48.jpg

I'm one of the few painters on the forum. I'm glad to see someone else is interested so I don't have to be alone! LOL!!

jkemp

Haha. Glad to hear I'm not alone too.

You might have seen it on ArtStation or Instagram.... I did not make any tutorial, though I also made a little octopus in a similar setup, for which I posted a timelapse... Maybe that's what you've seen.

Have a nice day !

This is very nice, I like the style.

Seems as though I have seen this image somewhere on the net. Did you ever make a tutorial about this painting? Maybe it's because he reminds me of Minion from Megamind.
View attachment 99693

I'm one of the few painters on the forum. I'm glad to see someone else is interested so I don't have to be alone! LOL!!

inkpad.t

Guru
I'm no illustrator and mostly do stuff as a hobby, but from a viewers point of view, the black area on the left attracts my eye more then the fish area, just think its a little bit too much black,

jkemp

I'm no illustrator and mostly do stuff as a hobby, but from a viewers point of view, the black area on the left attracts my eye more then the fish area, just think its a little bit too much black,

Yeah, I get your point.... thought I kinda like it that way... :) . Thanks for the feedback.

regismathias

Hey jkemp!

I really like the concept here.
It's not just a lantern fish; it's a sleepy lantern fish. I like this kind of twist and how it tells a story.

And as a big sucker for darkness myself, I'm not bothered at all about the dark area. I think it makes the source light so much powerful, I really like to use this kind of dark areas on my artwork too, but I admit that sometimes it gets TOO dark.

It looks great. Really!

Redz166

Looks really good, im trying to develop my digital painting skills, did you happen to use a base image at all?

jkemp

Looks really good, im trying to develop my digital painting skills, did you happen to use a base image at all?

Nope. I started with a simple sketch, and let it grow from there. I do use Google Images a lot when I paint though, for various references... In this case I remember searching for "angler fish" and for "sleeping hat". :) . I also spent time on sites like ArtStation... looking for underwater scenes to get me started...

Here's the sketch :

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 12.11.05 PM.png

Thanks for commenting. :)