What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smooth Edges in Pen Sketch with Bleed

jonow

My friend has drawn a pretty elaborate and detailed sketch that he would like to be fixed up in Photoshop. The issue is all the lines he has made have bled a little so none of the lines are straight and when you look at the detail it does not look to good.

Is there a way to easily smooth out these lines and remove the bleed without removing the detail? I have tried things from blur to refining edges and it works to some degree but I loose detail. Attached is the image and a zoomed in version to show the detail that there is and the bleeding that needs to be removed. Also I am not sure if it matters but I plan to eventually vectorize it.

Attachments

• Dynamico-Orig2inal.jpg
    Dynamico-Orig2inal.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • small.jpg
    small.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 11
If the drawing is on its own layer, Select the drawing (CTRL+click layer icon) .... try feather selection (3 pixels) .... invert selection and delete the excess.

I did do that and it works for a good portion of the image but in some parts there are either very thin lines or there are sharp corners that get rounded out too much

I sometimes have that. My workaround is to make a copy of the untouched drawing layer so I can superimpose it over the feathered layer. Then Erase what I don't like on either layer till I get the look I need.

Kinda longwinded work but works for me in what Ive done. I can't say much on how it would be like on your image.

Well it just sounds like there needs to be a large amount of work no matter what I do

Then again... did you scan this in b&w or greyscale? Two different outputs ya know.... and it looks like your scan is in B&W which would usually have those jagginess.....

just saying...

I am not sure. I didn't scan it. It may have been adjusted a little before I got it but the original has very good contrast

Hi jonow

I've used your sample and tried to fix the edge bleeding, and i came up whit this.

small0.jpg

A bit of improvement don't you think, and i used this third party filter Topaz Clean - Edge and Texture Control ,you can download the trial version and start experimenting whit it.

There's a couple other tool option's in this filter but the cartooned style, will be the one who works the better whit your picture.

Hope this helps.

Back