What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sony A290 vs Pentax KR?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
looking for a new camera and decidng is annoying me, my kodak is pretty dead all i get is noise, yay, not. and i need something with a good sensor nice and durable and a good to shoot camera. what do i go for?

ah! it does indeed, it seems the A 290 has virtually no upper hand against the K-r, interesting thanks Paul! :D

even comparing it the the D3100 it seems to have the upper hand for what i want, (apart from noise reduction but over 700 ISO is good enough, it's better than the bundle of noise i get at 80 (yes 80!) ISO with my kodak.) and the shooting speed is faster too.

Great news then, i ain't a camera guy mate.

it does have an upper hand as you can normally pick up cheaper supplies for sony ie lenses but if you swap over to 3rd party lenses ie tamron or sigma then it will be about the same cost.

no worries, Pentax it is, still got a few months yet but i was stuck, and by then the camera should be a little cheaper. thanks for the link anyhow mate ;)

oh and by the way I guarentee with a dslr your shooting ISO will rarely exceed 200 unless your using it in full manual mode where you have to control the exposure length ( shutter speed ) f stop and exposure compensation then during daylight you may bump your iso up to 400 - 600 or if your shooting black an white then you can go upto 1500 - 3000 but these days black and white photography is best sorted in post reduction.

fair enough sounds like point and shoots are pretty shit then :p thanks for the information there, i doubt i'd have it in full manual, just manual focus at most, until i get the jist of it.
thanks Hoogle :D

oh and by the way I guarentee with a dslr your shooting ISO will rarely exceed 200 .

I couldn't disagree more, and any new DSLR should get excellent results at 400.
On a cloudy day or in the shade you may need 400 or more to get enough depth of field.

There are 2 rules of thumb that matter.
The shutter speed should be no lower than the focal length of the lens.
The sweet spot on most lenses is around f8

Put a 300mm lens on, minimum shutter speed is 1/300 for something that's not moving, that's just for camera shake.

To stop action action you need 1/1000, 1/2000 or more depending on the subject.
You need ISO 400 - 600 to get those shots.

Hence the comment rarely exceed and exception of going into manual mode. And from what I gather Z is an entry level photographer and will be some time before this kind of stuff gets touched on. However to the point of progressing then yes you should learn this stuff from the beginning and the point was camera not going over 700 iso which does seem very low for a dslr but really dont think at the price range it should be the deciding factor. especially with the amount of post production applications available more so if you shoot in raw. Yes I totally agree with things like stopping motion, the use of flash guns and telephoto big lenses if this is what your looking to go for then you should go for the best specked camera your money can buy because you will want to progress more and get into the advanced stuff. But if you just using a kit lens and going for the point and shoot approach I dont even think the auto modes adjust the iso and will probably be set at 200 or 400. Also a point is a higher spec camera does not necessarily mean it is a better camera when I was deciding which route to go down when I started between Canon and Nikon on paper the canon was a better camera slightly cheaper but the image quality was not the same as the Nikon I prefer the nikon look and the way it handled. However many people will disagree and say canon are better. but they both have pros and cons.

wow that was quite long but all true, i'll add to this later on, i'm going back to bed :p

Back