What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Source Photo Overlay Issue [picture]

cmf0106

I am using a source photo to overlay grundge details on a texture I am working on. The issue I am having is when I set the source photo to "overlay" layer mode over the base metal it lightens the whole area. I want the base metal to remain the same darkness, but maintain the grunge details from the source photo. I have been told a opacity mask may do the trick, but I have no idea how to set that up if that is indeed a possible solution.

Please see image below, it will help clarify my issue. Please magnify them to clearly see the problem.
compared3.jpg

Image of just the grundge overlay layer isolated
base_overlay.jpg

I also have attached the .PSD I am working from, if someone would like to directly edit the file so I can see precisely how the solution is achieved that would be appreciated as well, although not required. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25806698/MetalWall01_.psd

Last edited:
Select the below part of the base overlay layer that you would like to darken. Copy it to a new layer you place over the base overlay layer. On this new layer go to layer menu->new adjustment layer->brightness/contrast. Now an adjustment layer will appear over the copied part. Then right click on the adjustment layer on the layer palette and choose the 'create clipping mask' option. If done correctly, you should see a little arrow in front of the adjustment layer. Ok, now comes the funny part. Double click on the first square of the adjustment layer and play with the brightness/contrast adjustments to refine the changes you have made.

Here is the psd file i have made the changes on:

MetalWall01_.psd - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Back