What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange black screen

pslane

I was working today and something caused my work space to be replaced by a black screen with no way to get out of. My project was off to the right side down low and there were very few tools to use. Esc didn't help. After I realized I couldn't get back I finally had to Ctrl-Alt-Del. At least I had saved in time. Can you tell me what this was and how to get out if it happens again.

Thanks,
pslane

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi ps
Sounds like a computer issue more than a PS issue. I don't recall ever having that occur. How much memory do you have? How much are you allowing PS to use?

pslane

I'm pretty sure it's not a memory problem. But it could be the fact that the software is old. It's a CS2 version. Think that could cause something like this? I was able to get into the Bridge, but I know nothing about the Bridge ? so that didn't help. Back to the black screen.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I know nothing (nada) about GPU. :question:

A better question might be what operating system- what version of Windows or MacOS? I doubt the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is going to be of much consequence unless you are working in 3D and I don't think you would be as your on CS2. What are the specs on your computer?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
if you type in 'dxdiag' sans quotes into the start menu search bar, then when the window appears go to 'display' and in the 'name' section is your GPU name, post it here :)

you can find other computer specs there too like your CPU and RAM.

I mention the GPU because I had a similar issue, it boiled down to a buggy driver installation.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
I agree with Zeealex that it could easily be the video card and/or drivers. Several years ago, I had similar symptoms (eg, parts of the screen going black in normal 2D PS operations) and eventually traced it back to a video problem. As I recall, the problem started when I upgraded from one version of PS (well before the CC) to the next, and the newer version of PS did not support the old video card that I had been using. I bought a $15 generic, but newer, video card, installed it, and all was well until I eventually upgraded that computer. Once you get the info about your video card, make sure it is on Adobe's hardware compatibility list for that version of PS.

HTH,

Tom M