What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange brush tool setting?

LadyJemima

I just installed CS5 on my laptop and the brush tool seems to be on a strange setting. I can't figure out what it is. In CS2, my brush (say, a circle) will apply color to the exact outline of the brush. For instance, if I selected a 9px brush, I would see a 9px circle brush on my document, and when I click, it would apply a 9px dot of color.

Example2.jpg

In CS5, however, I see a much larger brush outline. If I select a 9px brush, I will see (guessing) a 20px circle which will apply a 9px dot of color. At least, this is my impression of what is happening.

Example.jpg

And it's driving me CRAZY! I have no precision when I work! Before resetting my preferences I thought I would ask if anyone knows how to fix this. Even my professor has no idea. I did mess around with some general settings when I first installed but certainly don't remember doing anything with this.

I had that happen on one of my Macs .... Damn if I can remember what it was either an update from adobe or all tools reset.

@Hawkeye -- it's brand spanking new Macbook Pro so I doubt I need to update video drivers?

@iDad -- I'll wait and see if anyone else can help out, but if not, the next thing I'll do is try a tool reset and then an adobe update (again--brand new, just installed four weeks ago so probably not an update issue).

View attachment 1921is a direct download from adobe or a disc install?.if disc, you probably need the up date you can check by looking at the top menue and click Help(see attachment)

It has to be a basic setting . I had something similar, but this is exaggerated. And it took me a while to get it to stop doing the problem. Checking and unchecking enough boxes fixed the problem. Which ones ?????? I DON'T KNOW

Last edited:
Try going into brush presets "reset tool presets".just a thought I had looking this thread over again

No luck with anything. Tried resetting tool presets, updating (yes, the initial install was from a disc) and also resetting all my preferences. So...wow. I hope Adobe has good customer service. >_<

Ha HA!! My cursor was set to "medium" in my Mac's system prefs. WOW! Two weeks of agony solved! :)

I'm glad you figured it out.

I was going to mention that but when I tried it myself I saw no difference.
After you posted the solution I tried again.

This happens with the soft brushes not the hard brushes.

I initially tried it with the hard brush.

It happened with both a hard and soft brush for me, which probably means my cursor size was set pretty high. I'm just happy I found the answer. Thanks for your suggestions--learned some new stuff while trying them!

LJ a regular Sherlock Holmes.. nice detective work. ;)

Back