What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Styles effects

SCTRWD

Power User
View attachment 9788Blood.png
Hi, guys!

Here is some POF: proof of concept, as it were, from one of my recent projects. I's not a final result, I can't post it here:cheesygrin:. But it's just some quick way to illustrate the way to use Layer Styles somewhat creatively.

Here blood is supposed to be gathering volume and welling as it streaks down.

It's all about Layer Styles:
Blood_layers.png

As you can see blood stain is inside the Smart Object. One instance is placed under and another one is put above. The one above is added Layer Styles namely Bevel, Shadows and other ones, but with the gradient mask applied.

This way Layer Styles change there effect smoothly, according to layer mask: Bevel grows it's depth downwards, etc.

And the Blood stain itself stays editable as a Smart Object. It can be tweaked any way you like. The same goes for Layer Styles options and the mask. Levels on mask can be used to fine tune the final view:cheesygrin:

May be someone can use this trick in their project as well:cheesygrin:

SeniorS

Guru
Thanks. Looks intresting. I'll check it later. Don't know about usage but for education and fun.

Davin Salo

Very nice, I like the use of effects being graded. Can't think of many other applications I'd use it for, but I like it for the purpose you preview here.