What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus advice and recommendations?

Helios

Hi all,

It has been my desire for a while now to have a Windows tablet running my favourite painting software, and to get a pressure sensitive stylus to use with it - much like one does on a normal USB graphics tablet, but you're drawing straight onto the screen of the tablet and getting the same expressiveness and variation of line. I hope that makes sense!

Well, my husband has just made the first part a reality, I have a new Lenovo tablet. I just get a bit lost when it comes to which stylus to buy - I've heard the Wacom Bamboo range is good, but I'm just not sure how much is a reasonable amount to spend to achieve what I want. Nor am I sure what key words and phrases I should be looking out for to ensure I get the pressure sensitive aspect that I want.

Can anyone help recommend anything? Have I got the right idea as to how this works, even?

Slightly Confused Helios :rolleyes:

(P.S. Wasn't sure where to post this this - please move it if there is a more appropriate forum!)

Last edited:

Helios

It is just a stylus I'm after, not a pad - I was under the impression that the Bamboo range was just styluses for the purpose of drawing on an ipad or windows tablet, but I'm probably wrong!

My concern is that just getting any old £20 stylus won't actually give me the pressure sensitivity. If it makes it clearer, what I want to achieve in practice is this:

windows-tablet-stylus-eg.jpg

Obviously not necessarily that tablet model or software shown.

The tablet is a Lenovo ideapad MIIX 300 - not a very high spec model, but we're testing the concept. Problem is, I'm kind of clueless about this... :(

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
From what I have read, Lenovo 'AnyPen' tech allows you to use any of the commercially available pressure sensitive pens/stylus'. So I think it's just a matter of picking one out.

I looked at the Wacom's Bamboo Pens, I think this may be the one you need to look at: http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/bamboo-fineline-2

EDIT: THIS IS WRONG! PLEASE SEE POST #7

Last edited:

Helios

Ok, that's the kind of style and spec of stylus I want - now I just need to find one like that which will work with a Win10 tablet. Are you saying that the AnyPen software for Lenovo would allow things like the Bamboo Fineline to work, even though it is ipad only?

Helios

None of the things there are quite the spec I was thinking I needed, however you have given me the idea that I could get a cheaper stylus to try out and see if the AnyPen thing will help. If not, I still have a stylus for general use with the tablet, instead of my fat fingers. :p

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm so sorry that I'm not much help. There's really not much info on the net about the tablet you have.

Here's what I think, I think that the sensitivity is built into the touchscreen so any stylus will work.

The Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga has the Wacom active digitizer which allows you to use the Bamboo Pens, but I can't find anything that states that the Miix 300 has the same features. So I'm not really sure if buying a Bamboo will work.

Helios

Thanks so much Sam, this has been more helpful than you think. I now have some things I'm going to try and I have a clearer idea of what I might be aiming for in terms of hardware. :)

Further advice will always be appreciated if anyone happens to know - for now I'll poke around and see what I can do before spending upwards of £50 on anything!