What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions on how to remove girl

tonedeaf

I think I have tried every help I could find on the net but still cant remove girl from this similar coloured background. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• water_stock_iii_by_senju_hime_stock-d35uedh.jpg
    water_stock_iii_by_senju_hime_stock-d35uedh.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

Pipsmom

Guru
Remove and save her a to use in another picture or just remove her from This picture? I just did a quick 2 minute one that totally removes her and leaves the scene but thought I better ask if thats what you meant before I showed you how I did it

gedstar

Guru
Hi

You didn't pick the easiest image to remove a person from the background, the only option you have is with using the pen tool, saying that the results aren't going to very good

You could try using the select and mask around the hair

Last edited:

tonedeaf

Thank you so much, that is better than anything Ive tried. Under the arms was driving me nuts with select and mask.

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
The checkerboard pattern in the background indicates that it is a transparent background and Crystal has uploaded the file as a .png which retains the transparency information.

Cheers

John

Pipsmom

Guru
If you have used select and mask to cut out your imagine when you go to save it pick "NEW LAYER" to save it to..once you press ok and you return to PS the layer then shows your cut out with the background already transparent
Example below
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 21.49.38.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 21.48.42.png

tonedeaf

I understand what your saying, but for some reason, when I load it into ps cc the transparent area shows up as a checkered grey pattern not transparent.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
........but for some reason, when I load it into ps cc the transparent area shows up as a checkered grey pattern not transparent.

That's because Pipsmom saved and uploaded a screen shot and not the actual file. The image was meant to serve as an example of the technique she suggested to you and not something that she was completing for you.

You did ask for suggestions right?

Pipsmom

Guru
Agree with what Sam said, those are only Pictures/Screen shots and not a file....

Not understanding exactly tonedeaf what you meaning...... "when I load it into ps cc the transparent area shows up as a checkered grey pattern not transparent."
Can you elaborate a little further please

Are you trying to cut the girl out from scratch from the original or using one of screen shot pictures I'm showing you?
I didn't save the file where I used that technique to cut her out or is that what your asking for..A file so you can take over with?

If you have started over and doing it yourself, when you come out of select and mask and seeing the grey checker board pattern
Yes, definitely, thats what you Want to see......that check pattern is there to tell you that part of the image is now transparent/hidden by the mask.

tonedeaf

Sorry, newbie mistake. I didnt understand it was a screenshot. I appreciate all your suggestions and Ill try applying them to the pic. Ive used select and mask a few times in the past with success, but not on this pic. I will try the pen tool which I have used very little. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Pipsmom

Guru
No apologies necessary as I am still a newby myself ( just little over a year of self teaching) and been where you are. It took me ages also to get my head around the select and mask features and how they all work. If I can or anyone else can help you further your lessons just ask and we will be more than glad to do what we can to help you learn.
I can easily do another cut out and send you the file to complete your work but thats not learning is it....With me, I learned more and got better by asking questions and applying what they were telling me....
How can I help you from another newbys perspective?
And by the way....I suck at the pen tool still too :eek: ......still learning