What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Testing the shadow catcher

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I used a self made tin can (duplicated twice) a plane in diffuse and a background image to test the new shadow catcher in Blender 2.79.
Setting the light right was crucial.

Shadow catcher.jpg

Composed this way

Untitled-1.jpg

I think it is very useful to add a 3D Blender object to an existing background.

Last edited:
Looks great to me Lambert!
Very nice shadow of the tins on this backlight scene.

And of course the tins are perfectly done by you.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris, I was just testing but like I already wrote, it's ideal for adding an 3D object to an existing background.
There's also some new stuff in 2.79 but I need more time...

gedstar

Guru
Nice work on the cans and shadows Lambert :thumbsup: I assume it's not just a one click wonder

Eggy

Retired Moderator
As usual Ged, looking at YT to see how it's done and try it :cheesygrin: again and again and thinking 'why isn't it working with me' and 'what am I doing wrong' :banghead: until tataaa...

The cans were a 15 min job...but placing the whole composition on a suitable background and adjusting the light to make it fit was more work.

In PS 3D there was no need for a shadow catcher. It was enough to bring the object to the 'invisible' groundplane and adjust the light and scene position.
But PS 3D isn't an option no more...I like to see the result of the render without having a beard growing a foot...:biglaff:

The shadow catcher is a good option when adding a 3D object to an excisting background picture.

I'll test today if I can make it work for reflections too...

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Indeed Chris, I love the way he uses the curved plane.
A new way of using the shadow catcher...