What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Texturing a 3D model within Photoshop CC

Hi all,

I have been doing some more CAD work lately through Fusion 360. Either way, I have been working with a 3rd party 3D printing company lately and I am interested in their 3D color printing. I was hoping id be able to get my CAD work into Photoshop CC and be able to add textures to my models within CC.

I have looked around but haven't seen much for new videos etc since 2013'. I am wondering if anyone may be able to point me in the direction of some tutorials etc on learning how I can go about doing this? I realize there is probably easier programs out there but I have a subscription to CC currently and want to try to complete this texturing without another software purchase.

Thanks for everyone's time!

Chris,

Paul

Former Member
Wasn't really sure if they are that up to date for you and your needs glad it inspired an idea at least.:thumbsup:

A lot of the stuff seems to be out dated. I dont know if that is due to Photoshop CC issues or just a significant amount of superior programs out there these days. I am just trying to get by with what I have right now as I cant be buying programs right now. I have put a feeler out on the Cad software forum as well to see if I can get an idea how to export from there, should help getting it into Photoshop CC. I just have to make sure I can export the proper texture file for 3d printing when I am done in Photoshop

Paul

Former Member
Good luck with the project, we have other members who have specific knowledge of this area if you can hang around or pop back giving time zones and members sleep patterns a chance i am sure it can be furthered for you.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
As far as I know, with fusion 360 it works on physical material types and relief patterns than UV and textures.

This autodesk guide gives am insight as to how materials work in fusion
http://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...k-good-apply-and-edit-materials-in-fusion360/

If you want to know how to specifically UVW map and texture your model, I'd advise you to download a 30 day trial of 3DS max, and I will be able to walk you through UV mapping in max as I do it myself quite a lot, however I'm not sure if a 3D printer is able to parse a UV map.

As I said, if you're up for that give me a shout! :)

As far as I know, with fusion 360 it works on physical material types and relief patterns than UV and textures.

This autodesk guide gives am insight as to how materials work in fusion
http://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...k-good-apply-and-edit-materials-in-fusion360/

If you want to know how to specifically UVW map and texture your model, I'd advise you to download a 30 day trial of 3DS max, and I will be able to walk you through UV mapping in max as I do it myself quite a lot, however I'm not sure if a 3D printer is able to parse a UV map.

As I said, if you're up for that give me a shout! :)

Id love to be able to expand my software capabilities Zeealex. Ive looked at 3dsMax, unfortunately after the 30 day trial id be without it to do textures after spending a month learning it. They dont seem to have a subscription plan low enough for me :(

P.S. Its not so much that I want to add textures within Fusion 360, more so that id like to take a completed model out of F360 and put it into another program where I can texture/paint that completed model. As far as I know id need the final texturing in either vrml 2.0 or x3d

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
If you aren't using it commercially then you can probably get an educational license, which is free.

Hoogle

Guru
Have you not considered Cinema 4d, That way you can import your OBJ files and texture them using real 3d software.

If you have a CC subscription then that includes a some what lite version of cinema 4d. Not sure if you can access it as a program standalone or if you have to do it through After Effects

here is 1st part of a series demonstrating it, but you may want to google more to suit tutorials.