What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Tablets

Rufkraft

Greetings All,

I have been toying with the idea of getting a new tablet to augment my work space. I currently am working on an Intuos but the draw of the visual drawing area is calling my name. Then i realized i needed to research before dropping, in some cases, an insane amount of money! My main uses for the tablet will be the Adobe apps (Photoshop Sketch, Illustrator Draw) and possibly other paint programs. And perhaps even desktop versions of Photoshop and Illustrator if possible.

My questions to all currently using tablets for home or mobile applications: What tablet do you use? Has it served you well? Can you run Adobe apps with ease? Adobe desktop programs maybe?! Is the drawing experience pleasing even when doing large, multi layered compositions?

The tablets/2 in 1s that i have been looking at: * please note i am new to this realm so i am only skimming the surface of the newer models***

Cintiq- looks amazing . 16" is out of stock till when..
Wacom Mobile studio- Again very nice but $$$. Spaceship quality i assume
Apple ipad pro- worry about compatibility when they release the new one next year , very pricey but hear it is smooth as butter
Microsoft Surface pro 4- seems legit- expandable memory via microSD but intel i7-8gb ram models running around $1,300 refurbished
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2- seems the most affordable of the bunch but worried about lacking power

I know i am leaving a bunch out and probably haven't even heard of others. Thought i would see if i could get a little guidance for others who have possibly been using these or other "visual screen" tablets before i put myself in debt. Any ideas on the subject are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey.

Have you tried a forum search on "tablets"?

This has been discussed at length in this forum.

Rufkraft

Thanks for the reply Sam,

I'm in the process of looking through old posts but so far haven't found to much on the specific tablets i mean which are those that you draw directly on to versus those that are used as a controller. Sorry i may have to rephrase my question: I'm looking for a tablet that let's me see what i am drawing/painting directly on the tablet screen. I will keep searching the forum as well but was really hoping to get some reviews on the tablets listed above. It seems like there are new tools released everyday! : )

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not a problem, I know the subject of tablets has arisen many times.

I personally have no experience with Pen display touch screen type tablets. I simply don't have the need for one. I have grown very comfortable with a monitor displayed pen tablet and it has become my preference. However, I'm a staunch supporter of any product made by Wacom. If I were in the market for a pen display touch screen, there's absolutely no doubt I would go with the Wacom Cintiq.

Pipsmom

Guru
I use a Cintiq 13 HD Wacom tablet, pro pen and air brush,. Apple mouse and keyboard with a IMac Sierra 27", I5.
5k display. Added extra memory now at 32 GB. Which gives me 1.2 TB storage and also a external 4 TB hard drive for more picture storage. Graphics is AMD Radeon R9. I use adobe and other third party software.
It took some getting use to with the hand eye coordination but after hiding my mouse for a week and making myself use it I wouldn't want to use anything else now. I was recently offered to step up to a larger size tablet .... but the 13"" is perfect for me and my desk top in size and I refused it. The way I see it is that the 13 inch is for pointing with the pen and short cut key use, I don't ever look at the tablet so size is not a issue nor do I want it.
Hope that helped answer your question

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Pipsmom Is this the tablet your using? http://www.wacom.com/en-cn/products/pen-displays/cintiq-13-hd

Pipsmom said:
The way I see it is that the 13 inch is for pointing with the pen and short cut key use, I don't very look at the tablet so size is not a issue nor do I want it.
Sorry for the questions! I'm truly curious and not being a PIA.

So you don't actually work with the tablet display, you still use the 27" monitor?

Pen position is easy on a regular tablet as it's displayed on the monitor anytime the pen is positioned over the tablet. The regular tablets also have the same shortcut buttons. I only have to look at my monitor to see my pen position and I have all the shortcut buttons memorized by feel, I almost never see my actual tablet when working. Does your tablet not display the pen position on the monitor? Do you have to look at both to get anything accomplished?

If your in a position to upgrade to a larger tablet display, why wouldn't you if it could get your focus off the monitor and on to the tablet display which is what the tablet display is designed to do? You could certainly get away with a much cheaper tablet if your not using the tablet display.

Again, sorry for the questions!

Pipsmom

Guru
Lol Sam.
I'm almost 60 and my eyes aren't what they use to be even with glasses, I use the same method as you as mentioned above and never look at the Wacom but the screen shows me what my old eyes simply can't on the tablet.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Lol Sam.
I'm almost 60 and my eyes aren't what they use to be even with glasses, I use the same method as you as mentioned above and never look at the Wacom but the screen shows me what my old eyes simply can't on the tablet.
LOL!! Can't argue with that!