What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips on how to create this effect on this picture?

Philomena

Hi everyone,

Do you have any tips or advice on how to recreate this effect - "merge" a color picture with a solid color background? Any specific layer to use? Thanks a lot!

Capture.JPG

Hello and welcome.

Use a Gradient Map adjustment layer. Color is not exact match, but close enough for demo.
Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.40.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.42.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.45.41 AM.png

Thanks @IamSam ! It looks great. I was just wondering which settings you used for the gradient mad adjustment layer.

I was just wondering which settings you used for the gradient mad adjustment layer.
Well, there's really no "settings". All I did was set the left color stop of the gradient to blue.
Note: When you first choose the Gradient Map Adjustment layer, it will appear in your foreground and background colors. I usually (if I remember) hit D on the keyboard to start off with a black and white gradient, then I change the left color stop to the color I need.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.44.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 10.48.26 AM.png

Couldn't quite understand what was intended by "merge" - but seeing what @IamSam did, really just was a monotone.

Haven't played with mono- or duotones much so checked into the process:

- Open your image
- Go to Image>Mode>Grayscale and click "Yes" to discard the color information.

1649176667613.png

Then go to Image > Mode > Duotone and choose "monotone".
Click on the color patch and when the color dialog box shows up, just choose the color you want or enter the values, or enter the hex code

1649176924874.png

I think this is what you're trying to accomplish based on the discussion. In any case, Photoshop always seems to give you more than one way to do something...

- Jeff

Correction: My bad ..............was not reading!

It works! Thanks @IamSam and @JeffK .
Sorry, I'm a native French speaker and I use Photoshop for work only occasionally. Anyway, it's great you took the time to answer, I'm really grateful :)

Back