What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using a ps psd template as a static front page with links

I have a resume wordpress site that showcases my skills on other pages. I'm using a png file I made from a psd template as a static front page for the site. what I'd like to do is use the psd template, but add links to the various fields to redirect visitors to my site to the specific page. for example, if my resume showcases technical skills, linking from the front page psd template to my skills page. any suggestions?

Slice tool slice each section and then right click the slice you want to redirect to another page and select url placing the url so /technical for example if you have a technical.html file in your root directory.

I follow you for the most part, but in terms of format, what do I save the file as? Is it something I have to add to the index.html or can i just slice, save as png and have the hyperlinks still connected to the corresponding page?

once sliced and added hyperlinks you will want to go to save for web. under format select PNG-24 and under the file name you will see a drop down menu select images and html and it will all be done for you just make sure you create a folder to save it to as it will slice them into images and text

I'm obviously not cut out for webdesign. I followed your instructions, but I have no idea where to put the html and images. I'm using wordpress if that helps. Is there a link you can direct me to so I'm not continually bothering you with this problem? I have the image . I slice..right click..add url..etc. save for web..html and images..but where do I put them so they show up?

Well that depends on your website. that format is not wordpress it is just html. as to where does it go this is complicated depending on your web host and wordpress installation. I am going to assume your using a typical hosting company and you have ftp access.

Your ftp will be either to a folder named www or Public_html or similar.

once slided the psh you should have got an index.html page or home.html unless you renamed it and saved it as something else and a folde named images with all your images.

Lets say your website is www.example.com when people type that address in the first thing that will be displayed is index.html which is the webs native language that file will be located in the www or public_html folder. However if index.html is not present it will search index.php this is where problems arise if your mixing html with php aka html or wordpress. because if you want your index.html to load up when someone types www.example.com it will indeed load up your resume or whatever you uploaded as html will take priority over index.php. But that means you need to install wordpress in a suitable location and to do that you create a folder in your www or public.html folder and name it blog well you can name it anything you like and then install wordpress to their. Which means your wordpress part of your website will now be at www.example.com/wordpress

so that means your folder layour will be www/public.html > images (folder) blog (folder) index.html httaccess file >blog (being a different directory in the root folder) will than have all the folders in which comes with wordpress.

And remember if that is going to be your landing page then make sure you change the url link to www.example.com/blog etc

If you still want wordpress to be the default landing page then keep as is but create a new directory call it resume and upload your sliced files and folders there

Thank you for all your knowledge and help in this matter. I think that I am going to having to take a wordpress 101 course or something so that I familiarize myself with the structure of the layout. I use filezilla to connect to my ftp server and I guess at the least I have been able to get that far. You sound like you really know what you are talking about and just wish I understood better how how to implement what you have said into the right spot. Im going to keep at it and try as hard as I can to get it together. I just thought that having an awesome psd template resume as my landing page or home, with combined links to various places on my resume (experience, skills, references etc) would be a nice touch to potential employers. I would love to know of a resource you would recommend on the net that may be able to guide me step by step in learning more about php html and wordpress formatting in general. You sound like a really smart guy and I thank you so much for the help that you have given me. I work for a fortune 500 company and would love to reward you with an Amazon gc. Send me your email and Ill send it along.

I am not here for payment especially as what I have said just means nothing to you so how can I justify payment for it.

I would demonstrate exactly what I mean via a video tutorial but at the moment I have severe man Flu and I am sure the sounds of me sniffling and coughing is not the way you want to watch a video Tutorial

Just out of curiosity do you have adobe cc by any chance as I think their may be an easier more effective method for you

I don't have adobe cc yet but plan on it in the next few months. I didn't mean to be insulting or anything, only to acknowledge my own ignorance as being the reason I couldn't fix the problem, and not your concise and details instruction. A amazon hc was just a token of thanks but I certainly understand. If you check out my sitr it may help. Is there an email I can send the addy to? It may help determine where I can put the sliced images etc.

Back