What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted to share my excitement :D

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
I was browsing job ads on Craigslist and saw that a local photographer was looking for someone to edit her wedding and family portrait photos, so I messaged her, and we will be working together soon! :D

She also saw my portfolio and loved the image I put together so much that she wants me to make one similar to that for her and her family using their photo! It's awesome :)

I've never had any steady income from using Photoshop so I can't freaking wait to do this!

Oh, also, a question. She says she will be paying $150 per shoot for the edits, which will mainly be simple color corrections and a few more in depth edits for a couple of the images, per the client's wishes. She said some of the pictures won't need retouching. Is that a good rate? The more I look online it seems like it's not, because she says the sets are usually 1000 images. I'm thinking if it's a crap rate, I can get my foot in the door with her and if she's impressed with my work, I can ask for more later on.

Either way, I'm still excited! This won't be my main source of income as I have a steady job, but it's nice to be paid for doing what I already love doing - using Photoshop!

Proud of you Jess....

A big well done. I hope it goes well for you.

Inkz

Keep us informed on how you get on.

1000 pictures for $150 is 15 cents each. Even if it only requires 2 minutes per image (which I doubt) you'll be making just $4.50 per hour. By the time you factor in additional time for communication, uploading and downloading, you won't be making even that much.

Even though it sounds a good 'foot in the door' Jess, like Hawkeye as said you will be working for pennies if not at a loss, that said well done.
Use it as a learning curve.

Even though it sounds a good 'foot in the door' Jess, like Hawkeye as said you will be working for pennies if not at a loss, that said well done.
Use it as a learning curve.

+1

I hope it's cash money, because that is a ridiculously low rate of pay. Anyways, congrats and onwards and upwards Jessicayla :)

Congrats Jessica! Even though I also believe that the rate is a little low, I think you have the right outlook when you said that if she were impressed with your work that you could always ask for more later on. These things can often, but not always, pan out to be very lucrative. Almost nothing beats word of mouth advertising. Good luck!

might seem low, but a couple of actions could do most of the work I would make a couple under exposure and a couple of over exposure sets. set groups of images into actions as needed for overall balance. then do the individual in depth edits. Live and learn, your time is money Hopefully the images will be close for you.

Yep, I did research rates and will definitely be asking for more. I'll find out later after Christmas (when I'll be starting to help her) if the 1000 shots she mentioned will be more like duplicates or what exactly I will be working on. I know some photographers take a ton of pictures and have a lot that are similar and then narrow it down to the one they want to keep, that sort of thing. I'll just feel it out and see how it goes!

I am definitely going to set up some actions just for that, MikeMc, thanks for the advice!

Nice one Jess.. the price seems a bit low but you should ask for more.. even if they say it is just the beginning but still you should be paid for your precious time spent.

Also, use this as a platform for future prospects and I am sure your would excel .. this should provide you the exposure needed to have Ps as a full time money earner

Hmm. I sent the lady an email asking her to clarify a couple of things, one asking if I would be editing all 1000 photos and if so I would like to ask for more money (I asked in a very polite manner)... no response in a couple of days. I might have just screwed myself - yay.

It happens Jess and I dare bet you will hear back from her in time. Better to screw yourself over than for someone else to do it. Never underestimate or under value yourself. That's a trend that happens far too easy, been there, have the t-shirts.

Stand you ground, she will be in touch ;)

I don't want to be downer, but the reality is this person has access to the people all over the world, and in some economies what they're offering is a fortune. I have had issues myself with clients over price many times thinking they'll come back after being unable to find anyone cheaper. They almost never do.
And before the "well the quality is worse and you get what you pay for" reply comes up, that isn't necessarily true. There's plenty of super talented people out there willing to work for next to nothing or for free.

damn lucky congrats n wish u good luck with ur job xD

Back