What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this type of photo damage and is there a way in photoshop to fix / hide?

sushibait

Would love to find out. I discovered a chest full of old photos in my grandma's attic and a lot of them have damage similar to what I am posting. What do you call this damage? Is there a technique for either eliminating it or somehow hiding it?

dmg2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice! Very new here!

-sushibait

Attachments

• dmg2.jpg
    dmg2.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 4

Argos

Guru
Sorry to say, but this photo is beyond repair, you can enchance the little info of your granma's, but that little info, made her look like a mummy.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi sushibait

I could not do a lot with it. Using Silverfast HDR Studio I could take out the high frequency black stripes for the most part yet there was a lot of mottling under that. I used ACR to adjust tone and take out a small amount of noise.

John Wheeler

dmg2-adj.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
I completely agree with Argos and John: this photo can not be saved by normal photoshop tools. My suggestion is that you find a talented artist to make a drawing or painting based on what is left in the photo and any others that may show her likeness.

With respect to what this problem might be called, probably the most accurate description would be something like "age and environmental (including photochemical) degredation of black and white prints".

The best of luck.

Tom M

sc00t

I agree with all of the above. What an awful shame.

As Tom said, perhaps an artist can recreate an image of her instead?

Best of luck.

Scott