What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White is Yellow?

dstoltz

This is frustrating me...it never happened with CS4, now with CS5 it seems to happen here and there...

If I open a JGP that has a WHITE (#FFFFFF) background, it appears as a yellow(#fffddb) in PS CS5.

I know I've fixed this in the past by fooling around with my color profiles...but I cant' seem to get it right anymore...

1) I don't want to use color profiles - I just use PS for the web, and don't need to do anything fancy, I just need white to be white

2) How can I reset my settings to what PS used to be? (factory settings)

3) If I can't reset the settings, how can I get white to be white?

Thanks for any advice...

PS - White appears correctly on the monitor in all other programs. Also, even if I change my foreground color to FFFFFF, the color in the toolbar looks white, but when I draw on the image, its that yellow color......what is going on?!?!?

To reset to default read this.
With Shift+Ctrl+K (Windows) Shift+Cmd+K (Mac), select North American Prepress 2 (Adobe RGB) or North American General Purpose 2 (sRGB).
Check the boxes on the bottom under Profiles Mismatches and Missing Profiles .

When you open an image you will have the option to keep the existing profile, switch profiles, or use no profile at all.

Thanks - I tried that, still the same....I found the solution, but I can't post it, because this dumb forum doesn't allow links until you've posted at least 8 messages...how frustrating....

This "dumb forum" wants to protect itself from spammers.
We assume that a Photoshop user can participate in discussions in a Photoshop oriented forum for 8 messages without much of a problem.
We're trying to eliminate those folks that sign up and immediately start posting spam.

A Mod (me) on this dumb forum jumped right in and put a decent amount of effort into trying to help you with your problem.

Does that count for anything?

dstoltz, give your screen a nice kick. Works every time in my case. Photoshop will understand your actions.
Oh and by the way, this 'dumb forum' has given a lot to me. I have made new pals and I am much happier now *sniff*

Didn't mean for it to be an insult - sorry....but it's counter-productive, not to mention frustrating, when you can't post a link that is important to the context of a solution. Yes, I do appreciate your help.

So in this case for example, for me to post a link, I would need to go create a bunch of non-related posts (cough, spam) just so I can come back to this post and reply with a link. Just seems silly - my 2 cents.

Most true spammers are not going to post 6 legit posts, and then start spamming, they are going to do it immediately after the email validation. (Again, I said "most")...

Anyway, sorry if I upset anyone, that wasn't my intention.

I hear you. But rules are rules. The Mods are doing their best to keep this forum a clean one. I am sure you will find at least a couple of threads where you can give your valuable advice and get your post count up. Else just keep welcoming people :)

As for your problem:

• Is the white being displayed as yellow only in Photshop and not else where on your computer or browser? Check other software as well, both from Adobe and not. A damaged graphics card gives inaccurate color results.
• Update your graphic card while you are at it.
• Change the color setting to True Color 32 bit.

This is all I was able to find now. Will update when I find more.

DesignmyBox,

Yeah, no problem on the rules ;-) I'd rather have to post a few times and have a clean forum ;-)

I fixed the problem....to answer your question, yes, the yellowish tint was only in PS...it ended up being a bad "monitor profile"...which is bizzarre, because I can't remember ever setting one up...but the site I found said to remove it, reboot, and presto! Everything was fixed....so it ended up not being the color profile as I thought....

Thanks!

Glad you got it straightened out.
The info I gave you will still be helpful with your work on the Web.

Web browsers don't use color profiles so you shouldn't either when editing for the web.
There was a long discussion about it here if you're interested.

Welcome to PSG,

Back