What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WYSIWYG Script Editor?

eviscia

Hello :)
I am creating a rather dynamic website for a client, and I've learned so many new things on this journey. At first he wanted a Flash intro, so I learned to create one. Now I'm learning scripts. I know how to write a php script for a contact form, but he wants something else as well. He wants a survey to appear on the home page, one question at time. I don't know how to write something like that, but I am learning. The problem is, I've been working on this website for much longer than I'd like to, and I want to finish it up quickly for the poor guy. He has been super patient.

So, my question is, do any of my fellow web designers know of a program (preferably a downloadable one) that would allow me to create a little web app or script to do this survey? I've already been able to make the entire survey, but it's not appearing the way I want it to. I do have Netbeans and Dreamweaver, but if there is something that I can easily drag and drop the elements in, like a WYSIWYG editor, that would be great. I still plan on learning more JavaScript and PHP, but I just want to get this done for him asap.

Thanks in advance!
If you want to see the site, it's topgymfitness.com :)

Your not going to get anything easier to use than Dreamweaver in terms of what you see is what you get. Maybe creating a survey here would help you, you may be able to study the resulting files.

May I just add that flash is all well and good in internet explorer, but it is not very good as cross browser media. For example, have you made an alternative page for when it is shown on an apple device. You may want to do a gif, or apng, or use jquery to animate your images. you can always put the sound in a swf file, this way, it should work on all browsers, and will only not play the sound on apples. I also don't understand why the animation isn't just put in your home page, rather than being a gateway to it. The graphics are very pixelated as well.

You should be a bit more specific when saying you are learning scripts, as there are tonnes of different scripting languages. Visit here to see what I mean.

I'll check that website out.

As far as the Flash intro, I have tested it out in every other browser, besides Apple browsers. I use FF by default, and it works fine here and in Chrome. It's a swf file embedded into an html file, so it should work fine. I'm not sure what you're talking about with it being pixelated. The only issue with that, that I had, was on the shine mask. The resolution on the original images is quite high and it doesn't pixelate on my end. I didn't put it into the home page because the client doesn't want it in the home page. He wants a separate intro page. Regardless, I didn't ask any questions pertaining to the Flash video.

I was leaving the scripts up to whoever answered. I was hoping for "the best script to use for that would be...", but I know of a few scripts to learn already. I'm going to start with JS and PHP. Essentially, I learned HTML and CSS in the beginning, then jumped right to Java and C++.

As a web developer, you don't need to learn all those languages. I'm only learning the ones I will be using in the next 3 to 4 years. Right now, I only need help with making a survey. Thanks anyway.

I'll check that website out.

As far as the Flash intro, I have tested it out in every other browser, besides Apple browsers. I use FF by default, and it works fine here and in Chrome. It's a swf file embedded into an html file, so it should work fine. I'm not sure what you're talking about with it being pixelated. The only issue with that, that I had, was on the shine mask. The resolution on the original images is quite high and it doesn't pixelate on my end. I didn't put it into the home page because the client doesn't want it in the home page. He wants a separate intro page. Regardless, I didn't ask any questions pertaining to the Flash video.

I was leaving the scripts up to whoever answered. I was hoping for "the best script to use for that would be...", but I know of a few scripts to learn already. I'm going to start with JS and PHP. Essentially, I learned HTML and CSS in the beginning, then jumped right to Java and C++.

As a web developer, you don't need to learn all those languages. I'm only learning the ones I will be using in the next 3 to 4 years. Right now, I only need help with making a survey. Thanks anyway.

Sorry that you felt the need to get all defensive.

I didn't ask what you tested it out on, I said Apple device browsers do not support flash(iphone, iPod Touch, iPad) so it will not work. I was fully aware what file type it is, and know how many add-ons for Firefox and Chrome that stop flash banners like that loading in the first place. I had to disable mine just to see it. Maybe as web developer, you know something I don't, and can afford to ignore somebodies honest advise.

I was on about the rest of the images on the website being pixelated, like you have resized them in Dreamweaver, and I wasn't trying to say you had to learn every scripting language.

To bluntly answer you, PHP is all you need script wise for a survey, and you already have the best WYSIWYG editor.

I'm not trying to be offensive man. I do appreciate the response. I guess I'm just straight forward and it gets taken wrong. Honestly, I'm very new to Flash, so I'm going to look into it and do some research. I'm just getting really frustrated with what this client wants. It started out as a basic site and has moved on to stuff I don't know yet. You don't think I need to make an applet to have an "interactive" survey for the first page? He wants one question, then a next button, then another question, so on and so forth.

I didn't mean to come off as rude. I re-read what I typed and I guess I came off that way. My apologies.

It's ok.

Maybe it would be an idea to use a survey builder like the one on the link I gave. Good luck.

Back