What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better letter woman

Vafann

Guru
I tried to make a typographic poster again trying to make something better than the one I did yesterday. I think that this turned out much better, though I´m still not completely satisfied and can see that it needs fixing in a lot of places, but I´m a little bit tired of it at the moment, and the mouth was the worst part, I tried everything, but it still looks wrong. Oh well... If you have any suggestions, or critique as usual I am grateful for them. :)

Bokstavtjej-flat-för-krymp.jpg

LRG

hello Vafann,
i like the idea, had some Matrix-impressions. shapes would better maybe if you changed the size of letters on specific areas for example i would decrease the size of letters on her hand. so try dont to mix the sizes but separate them. just my thoughts: )

Vafann

Guru
hello Vafann,
i like the idea, had some Matrix-impressions. shapes would better maybe if you changed the size of letters on specific areas for example i would decrease the size of letters on her hand. so try dont to mix the sizes but separate them. just my thoughts: )

Thank you LRG! ok, I will think about that next time, I can´t change that part now, because I merged all the letters together on one layer to use as a texture this time, but next time I try I will certainly think about that! :)

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
As for the lips, try and minimize the shadows surrounding them - blurring the lip edged a bit.

LGG's suggestion is good. YOu have to use different size text to simullate the folds and contours of the face and difference in body parts (hands)....

luna

I like it very much!Progress is visible :) What is wrong with the mouth?(I can not see that something is wrong)

Vafann

Guru
As for the lips, try and minimize the shadows surrounding them - blurring the lip edged a bit.

LGG's suggestion is good. YOu have to use different size text to simullate the folds and contours of the face and difference in body parts (hands)....

Yes thank you Dv8 ! I could see that it was wrong around the hands and the contours, but I didn´t understand that it was because of the size of the text, I am really greatful for that tip from both of you! Also, as for the lips, I tried to put MORE shade on them beacuse i thought that they looked flat and cut out, I never thought to try blurring. I actually have never blurred anything, and I keep hearing people mention it, I think I will have to start experimenting with that, I have always thought of blurriness as bad, like in unsharp. I guess you just have to know how to use it right. Thank you again! :)

iDad

Guru
mouth is okay a little tweak with a little less color may help around the edges
I think the nose looks to flat left side (her left)

overall nice job

Vafann

Guru
I like it very much!Progress is visible :) What is wrong with the mouth?(I can not see that something is wrong)

Thank you Luna! Yes I do think I´ve made some progress...:) the lips looked completely flat and cut-out, so I kept trying to shade and dodge and burn and paint them but I gave up for now. I think I probably burned it a bit too much all over the place, but I have saved a copy with out that, so that is fixable. :)

Vafann

Guru
mouth is okay a little tweak with a little less color may help around the edges
I think the nose looks to flat left side (her left)

overall nice job

Thank you Idad! Yes, I tried to fix the nose with dodging and burning, but then I became blind to it and couldn´t really see what I was supposed to do to fix it, i can see that it looks flat but i don´t know how to make it stand out more, any suggestions? :)

iDad

Guru
I think if you can edit the text in the area mentioned, perhaps a bulged effect or a slight arch effect to those fonts in question may help, give that area a bit of depth or a light shadow layer applied in that area

Vafann

Guru
I think if you can edit the text in the area mentioned, perhaps a bulged effect or a slight arch effect to those fonts in question may help, give that area a bit of depth or a light shadow layer applied in that area

Ok Idad I will try that ! Thank you! :)

fenix

Guru
Really cool vafann! Love it!

Vafann

Guru
Nice work!

I don't know what a matter with my taste but liked previous better :)

LOL! really Senior S? maybe it´s because of the texture or something, this one is just smoothe with no roughnes. It´s a good thing we all have different tastes, the world would probalby be really boring otherwise. :)

Great idea. Can you lower the opacity of the lettering, so you see more of the woman? Did you try a displacement mask with the lettering? Might look cool.

Vafann

Guru
Great idea. Can you lower the opacity of the lettering, so you see more of the woman? Did you try a displacement mask with the lettering? Might look cool.

Thank you Agentmoeller! Do you mean a displacement map? I made a texture out of all the text and used a displacement map to put it over her face, but do you mean something else? I don´t know what a displacement mask is. :)

SeniorS

Guru
LOL! really Senior S? maybe it´s because of the texture or something, this one is just smoothe with no roughnes. It´s a good thing we all have different tastes, the world would probalby be really boring otherwise. :)

Probobly color scheme and "feeling" from compostion. This one is colder and more unpersonic (new word for english language from me).

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice work!

I don't know what a matter with my taste but liked previous better :)

Vafann, I agree basically with all the above comments. I also lean towards what Senior says about the liking first one better. First I want you to know that I think this is beautiful. I do think the suggestions about varying the type to fit the contours is a good idea. Here are my thoughts:

I liked the first because of its moodiness and mystery, even the 3/4 face added to that. The lips are great and I'd personally save them as a file. But they distract me; they are soooo LIPS. Of course, the absence of lips is what adds to the attraction in the first one. I think the eyes in this one, startling green and large as they are, really take center stage. The lips are like some jealous supporting actress!

So that is just my little thought, less technique than story. Have a good sleep; fresh eyes are good, Clare

Vafann

Guru
Probobly color scheme and "feeling" from compostion. This one is colder and more unpersonic (new word for english language from me).

Thank you again Senior S! I understand exactly what you mean, both in how you see the diffrerent imgages, and also "Unpersonic", The word in Swedish is "opersonlig", and I am sure it means the same thing :)

BTW Senior S, where are you from, what language do you usually speak? I have never understood that. :)