What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with wavy effect

GideonCahill

Does anyone know how to make the wavy effect behind "King of Spade". Please help me on how you do it. I think it has something to do with the Filters bar?
oEMhLSp.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Gideon, this is fairly easy to make. Hold on and I will try to write up a quick tutorial on it.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.36.47 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Open a document. Fill the first layer with a BG color of choice.
Create a new layer.
Grab your Lasso Tool and make your design shape. When you reach the end and close the path, you have a selection.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.40.28 PM.png

Fill the selection with white and add a drop shadow using a layer style.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.41.34 PM.png

Create a new layer and Command/Control + click on the design shapes thumbnail, this will make a selection.
Go to SELECT > MODIFY > CONTRACT and enter 5 pixels. (you can always change this amount to suit your needs)
Fill the newly contracted selection with a color of choice.
Add a drop shadow using a layer style to this shape as well, it has to be very shallow, it does not have much room to fit on the white layer.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.46.09 PM.png

Next, create a new layer.
Use Command/Control + click on the original design shapes layer thumbnail to once again make a selection.
Fill this layer with a new color of choice.
Repeat this step again.

Use your Move Tool to adjust these two new layers to where you want them. (note: I also use free transform to make them fit a little better)

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.54.48 PM.png

Now, Use Command/Control + click on the CONTRACTED design shape layers thumbnail to create selection.

If your selection looks like this, you need to invert the selection by holding SHIFT + COMMAND/CONTROL + I ( or go to SELECT > INVERSE)
It should look like this now with the marching ants on both the shape and the outer boundary of the document.....

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.58.27 PM.png

Next, select/Highlight the two newest design shape layers that we just moved one at a time and hit delete.
Hit Command/Control + D to deselect.

Should look like this.......

KOSBackground_01.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
scratch-head02-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000415-large.gif
And just like that, he's gone!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Don't feel bad Sam... He may have been long gone by the time you uploaded. Tho he shows as on line, the system takes quite a while to refresh the online status list..... ;).

He'll be back.... fingers crossed.....

GideonCahill

Open a document. Fill the first layer with a BG color of choice.
Create a new layer.
Grab your Lasso Tool and make your design shape. When you reach the end and close the path, you have a selection.

View attachment 49552

Fill the selection with white and add a drop shadow using a layer style.

View attachment 49553

Create a new layer and Command/Control + click on the design shapes thumbnail, this will make a selection.
Go to SELECT > MODIFY > CONTRACT and enter 5 pixels. (you can always change this amount to suit your needs)
Fill the newly contracted selection with a color of choice.
Add a drop shadow using a layer style to this shape as well, it has to be very shallow, it does not have much room to fit on the white layer.

View attachment 49554

Next, create a new layer.
Use Command/Control + click on the original design shapes layer thumbnail to once again make a selection.
Fill this layer with a new color of choice.
Repeat this step again.

Use your Move Tool to adjust these two new layers to where you want them. (note: I also use free transform to make them fit a little better)

View attachment 49556

Now, Use Command/Control + click on the CONTRACTED design shape layers thumbnail to create selection.

If your selection looks like this, you need to invert the selection by holding SHIFT + COMMAND/CONTROL + I ( or go to SELECT > INVERSE)
It should look like this now with the marching ants on both the shape and the outer boundary of the document.....

View attachment 49557

Next, select/Highlight the two newest design shape layers that we just moved one at a time and hit delete.
Hit Command/Control + D to deselect.

Should look like this.......

View attachment 49558
Thanks so much for spending time and making a tutorial!