What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stufflol

Power User
Hello all, been a few years since my last post, must say loving the new forum looks!

Here is a poster I designed recently to frame for my bedroom, feeback appreciated! :)

design1.jpg

design2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoogle

Guru
End of the day Art is personal preference if it is how you like it then great, but for me my honest opinion is I would rather see brighter colours and a font change, I understand the font you have chosen with the jagged edges, but that would drive me crazy looking at it (OCD kicking in I guess) As it looks like someone has tried erasing the background in ms paint and was not steady handed enough around the text...

But other than that good and good to see you back in the forum. Yes I too do like our new forum layout default theme it is a lot cleaner and easy on the eyes.

Welcome back

stufflol

Power User
End of the day Art is personal preference if it is how you like it then great, but for me my honest opinion is I would rather see brighter colours and a font change, I understand the font you have chosen with the jagged edges, but that would drive me crazy looking at it (OCD kicking in I guess) As it looks like someone has tried erasing the background in ms paint and was not steady handed enough around the text...

But other than that good and good to see you back in the forum. Yes I too do like our new forum layout default theme it is a lot cleaner and easy on the eyes.

Welcome back

the reason I chose this font is because the poster is inspired by saul bass previous poster designs, that font is very similar to his style, but I get where you are comming from.

Tom Mann

Guru
One question, one thought ...

Question: You posted two images, one in red and black, and the other in purple and black. The red/black image looks like it is of lower quality (eg, lots of jpg artifacts). The purple/black image appears to be a photo of a framed poster. From the info you provided, I can't figure out if you want us to select which we prefer, what the relationship is between the two (eg, was the red one a work-in-progress image, while the purple one was what you actually had printed?, etc.).

Thought: Although this may have been your intent, and is part of the style you are emulating, but for the purple one, my personal preference would have been to surround the poster with either a thin key line, or make the color of the surrounding area something other than black to prevent the colors and shapes of the poster (i.e., the black of the upper thought bubble) from "bleeding" into what amounts to a simulated mat area.

Letting the black of the poster continue unimpeded right into the black of the surround does have the interesting visual effect of separating the upper and lower purple areas, and, in a way, simplifies what we are looking at (and this probably was your intention as well as a more "realistic" style emulation and way to display the poster), but when I personally weigh the pros and cons of it, I would still go with a way to make clear where your work "stops" and the surround (aka, mat) "begins", but I'm very literal, LOL.

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - Maybe a double-mat design would accomplish both goals,i.e., a thick black inner mat and a narrower, outer mat of different color / texture to set off the entirety of the poster (your work) from the method of displaying it.

Last edited: