What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photoshop editors copyrights

psychofski

Hi guys i have one question about copyrights.
If you change a background or retouch an image can you put it to your portfolio or is it forbidden by the copyright to the client.

Thnx in advance

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Here's the basic call on your question. I suggest that you ask permission from your client!

However, you can display any work you've done for a client in your portfolio as long as you are not selling reproductions of the work, you have credited the the client, and you are not violating any non-disclosure agreement with the client.

If you have not done so, you should include a clause in your contract stating that the client grants you permission to display your work in your personal portfolio.

thnx a lot for your answer.
I 'm mostly referring to internet clients (internet freelancing) that some can't be reached or others aren't responding at all and a few have respond positively.i haven't signed any contract with them, they have just send me their photos for retouching or background change through freelance platforms.I searched the internet but could not find any specifics for photoshop editors copyrights.Another concern is that some photos i would like to put on my portfolio have babies or kids retouched.On the other hand this is my work and i think i should be able to show off (i don't want to sell them by any means).

Again, back to asking for permission. Think of it this way...........if you had submitted your own personal family photos to be "professionally" retouched, assuming you are a professional, would you want your kids/families images pasted on the internet by the professional you trusted without your permission?

I myself would never add any images to my personal portfolio that I had edited for a client, especially images of people, families, kids, etc., without the clients permission, it's less of a legal question and more of a moral responsibility. I would never compromise the privacy of one of my clients just to show off my skills. You will find that many clients will not have any problems with you posting their images in your portfolio. These should be enough to demonstrate your skills.

thnx a lot for your answer.
I 'm mostly referring to internet clients (internet freelancing) that some can't be reached or others aren't responding at all and a few have respond positively.i haven't signed any contract with them, they have just send me their photos for retouching or background change through freelance platforms.
Whether you get your clients from the internet or from the local Mall, there is no difference in how the negotiations of the work should be handled. You need to adopt the practice of using contracts.

yeah i would be pissed of too though that it doesn't mean i would be necessarily right.Anyway i 'll avoid it guys thnx for the info.

If you have your own website, you can put a blanket disclaimer on a page that says you reserve the right to display all your workin your portfolio.
Then it would be up to the client to specifically requestthat you don't.
Just make sure they read the disclaimer page.

Agent

Back