What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lasso Polygonal - include a subtract in old refine or refine new subtract alone

Jomodo

Hi all,

I have finished using the Polygonal Lasso tool to select an object with ruff edges by zooming to 200% and slowly making my way around the shape, when I finished I did a "Refine" for the selection and it looked fine. Then I subtracted 2 new areas, each of these two areas are separate selection (deselection), meaning they don't connect with the bigger circles, they subtract 2 circles from the bigger circle.

The problem I need help with is that if I use "Refine" again to smooth the two new subtracted borders it will affect the previous border and ruin it, is there a way to make the new "Refine" just for the two newly subtracted areas OR make the old "Refine" order apply to the newly subtracted areas?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That depends on how you layered your selections. Did you save the two subtracted selections? If not you will have to re-select them individually and then use refine edge.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Can you please upload screen shots?

Jomodo

That depends on how you layered your selections. Did you save the two subtracted selections? If not you will have to re-select them individually and then use refine edge.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Can you please upload screen shots?

I don't really get layers or how to utilize them, when I subtracted I saved the selection with the same name I used before. regarding selecting individually, being a subtract not an add is making this too complex for me to understand how it will work.

I just went back in history before refine step and will add the subtract step then refine all.

Thank you for your help IamSam

MrToM

Guru
...and will add the subtract step then refine all...
As the name implies...'Refine Edge' works on the current marquee....which is just a single marquee regardless of how its produced.

As you've stated...create your marquee first, then use refine edge....that's really how it's intended to be used....so you're on the right track. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.