What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help putting shading on a cross

djdancer

Hi All -

I'm currently working on a website and want some help putting some shading on a cross so it looks like 3D. I don't see in 3D so it's a bit hard for me. I have included a picture of the cross. To get a look at what it should look like when it's finished please see my other post here: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-newbies/57618-can-done.html

The cross will go in the picture instead of the eagle unless someone else can think of something different. This will go as a slider on a Christian Church website.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• Cross.jpg
    Cross.jpg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Cross.jpg
    Cross.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Something like this?

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 12.25.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 12.35.17 PM.png

Last edited:

djdancer

IamSam that looks great!! It doesn't look as exciting as the one with the eagle in it though. :( Not your fault it's just that his image was so appealing and hard to live up to. :) I am currently working on cutting out their icon for their site (without much luck) which has a bible and a cross in it. I wonder if that would look more appealing in the red?

I am going to message you.

Thank you so much!! It looks better than I could do. :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here I have created my own eagle icon (from the other thread) using the Pen Tool.
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 3.06.25 PM.png

In order for the cross to look consistent with the original eagle logo you like so much, it's going to have to look the same.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 3.04.09 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
Ooooooooo....Extremely Angry Bird!
:rofl:

Regards.
MrToM.

djdancer

It's all good cutting the cross out until I get to the shaded part. This is where the "can't see 3D" comes in. I'm not sure why because I kind of see which way the lines going but the cutting isn't even coming out close to what the angle looks like to me...

djdancer

Thank you Sam!! I pretty much figured it out. I think it came out much better than my icon. :) You are the bomb!!

djdancer

This one would be perfect but I can't figure out how to straighten the lines on the edge of the bible... I can use the one with the cross and this one in a slider.Gradient filled for any project with bible.jpg

Also is there some way to maybe put another gradient of something over the top so it doesn't look so blurry? I still have the project with the bible and cross in case I need to use it again??

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's all good cutting the cross out until I get to the shaded part. This is where the "can't see 3D" comes in. I'm not sure why because I kind of see which way the lines going but the cutting isn't even coming out close to what the angle looks like to me...
What shaded part? As I pointed out above, in order to remain consistent with the original, there's no need for shading.

Please explain the shading.

edit: Are you referring to the shading on the original cross image?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This one would be perfect but I can't figure out how to straighten the lines on the edge of the bible... I can use the one with the cross and this one in a slider.
Use the Pen Tool or the Polygonal Lasso tool.

djdancer said:
Also is there some way to maybe put another gradient of something over the top so it doesn't look so blurry? I still have the project with the bible and cross in case I need to use it again??
The blurriness is caused from increasing the size of a very low resolution image. The original image of the "bible" logo was far too small for this project. There's really nothing other than a sharpen filter that's going to make much of a difference and that will be minimal.

djdancer

Thank you once again Sam!! I think now that I look at them I can use both pictures, the one with the shading that you did for me and the cross with the bible in sliders on website.