What's new

Help putting shading on a cross

djdancer

Hi All -

I'm currently working on a website and want some help putting some shading on a cross so it looks like 3D. I don't see in 3D so it's a bit hard for me. I have included a picture of the cross. To get a look at what it should look like when it's finished please see my other post here: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-newbies/57618-can-done.html

The cross will go in the picture instead of the eagle unless someone else can think of something different. This will go as a slider on a Christian Church website.

Thank you!!

Attachments

Last edited:

djdancer

IamSam that looks great!! It doesn't look as exciting as the one with the eagle in it though. :( Not your fault it's just that his image was so appealing and hard to live up to. :) I am currently working on cutting out their icon for their site (without much luck) which has a bible and a cross in it. I wonder if that would look more appealing in the red?

I am going to message you.

Thank you so much!! It looks better than I could do. :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here I have created my own eagle icon (from the other thread) using the Pen Tool.
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 3.06.25 PM.png

In order for the cross to look consistent with the original eagle logo you like so much, it's going to have to look the same.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 3.04.09 PM.png

djdancer

It's all good cutting the cross out until I get to the shaded part. This is where the "can't see 3D" comes in. I'm not sure why because I kind of see which way the lines going but the cutting isn't even coming out close to what the angle looks like to me...

djdancer

Thank you Sam!! I pretty much figured it out. I think it came out much better than my icon. :) You are the bomb!!

djdancer

This one would be perfect but I can't figure out how to straighten the lines on the edge of the bible... I can use the one with the cross and this one in a slider.Gradient filled for any project with bible.jpg

Also is there some way to maybe put another gradient of something over the top so it doesn't look so blurry? I still have the project with the bible and cross in case I need to use it again??

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's all good cutting the cross out until I get to the shaded part. This is where the "can't see 3D" comes in. I'm not sure why because I kind of see which way the lines going but the cutting isn't even coming out close to what the angle looks like to me...
What shaded part? As I pointed out above, in order to remain consistent with the original, there's no need for shading.

Please explain the shading.

edit: Are you referring to the shading on the original cross image?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This one would be perfect but I can't figure out how to straighten the lines on the edge of the bible... I can use the one with the cross and this one in a slider.
Use the Pen Tool or the Polygonal Lasso tool.

djdancer said:
Also is there some way to maybe put another gradient of something over the top so it doesn't look so blurry? I still have the project with the bible and cross in case I need to use it again??
The blurriness is caused from increasing the size of a very low resolution image. The original image of the "bible" logo was far too small for this project. There's really nothing other than a sharpen filter that's going to make much of a difference and that will be minimal.

djdancer

Thank you once again Sam!! I think now that I look at them I can use both pictures, the one with the shading that you did for me and the cross with the bible in sliders on website.