What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drawing Straight Lines with Pen Tool

TechP

[FONT=&amp]I have just installed photoshop and have, as an exercise , tried to design the Umbrella Corp logo.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
dnZTw.png

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I am stuck at trying to make one of those 8 rounded triangle shapes.I have used the pen tool to draw the upper arc but wen I try to sketch a line to the third vertex, I get a curve instead.I have tried changing from smooth point to corner point but that also converts the arc into a line.Is my approach correct? If so, how can I draw a straight line starting from a smooth point?

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

While it's far more involved than this, the solution to your problem is to hold down Option/Alt + click on the last anchor point. This removes the handle leading to the next anchor point but not the handle to the last. By doing this, you will get a sharp corner and not a curve.

TechP

Thank you so much!
I think I will be able to proceed with the logo.Just wanted to know if there is any specific way of rotating these shapes about a central point, such that all shapes remain equidistant from the central point.

Anyway,

Thanks again!

naoQri3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I usually use guidelines to establish the center point which all the shape will rotate around.

I make one shape, copy it, then rotate it.
Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 3.58.26 PM.png

Same goes for the white ones.
Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.00.45 PM.png