What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing dress's color

mccathi95

Can anyone help me with this problem. I want to turn this dress into white without damaging all the patterns but it seems impossible. I really appreciate if anyone can help me with this problem and show me step by step how to do this.
Thank you so much
unnamed.jpg

Rich54

Guru
This is the best I could do, but I'm not in love with it. Maybe somebody else will give it a try.

dress.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Quick question, since this is in the Photoshop Newbies section, is this an edit request or are you asking for us to show you how to do it for yourself?

mccathi95

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Quick question, since this is in the Photoshop Newbies section, is this an edit request or are you asking for us to show you how to do it for yourself?
Hello Sam.
I have been watching many tutorials on You Tube on how to change color of an object but none of them could deal with this picture, so i desperately want you guys to help me. I hope that you guys can show me step by step how to do this because i'm only a newbie.
Thank you so much.

Rich54

Guru
Here's how I did mine, but like I said, I don't think mine is so great. Since you're new to Photoshop , you may need to read-up on each of the steps that I took.
1. Click on Select>Color Range. Use the eyedropper to select the black color of the dress. You'll need to experiment with the 'Fuzziness' slider, but I used a setting of 117.
2. This step is optional, but I went to Select>Modify>Expand and expanded the selection by 1 pixel.
3. With the selection active, press Ctrl+J, which creates a new layer from the selection. The new layer should ideally be only the black dress, but it will also grab anything else that's black in the image. We'll deal with that later.
4. Invert the new layer by clicking on Image>Adjustments>Invert. That changes the black to white.
5. Create either a Curves or Levels adjustment layer and "clip" it to the dress layer, which you can use to further adjust the brightness of the white dress.
6. Add a layer mask to the dress layer and carefully paint with black over any other part of the image (aside from the dress) that was inverted in step 4. This will likely include portions of her hair, the black bracelet, etc.

Edit: Because this particular image is evenly lit, inverting it gave a somewhat acceptable result. But in a different image with different lighting, there may be deep shadows on one side of her body. Inverting that will make dark shadows seem light, and vice-versa, so it throws-off the entire image. Generally speaking, I don't like inverting images to change colors because it usually is not very natural looking. But changing dark to light is fairly difficult and for this particular image I (just barely) got away with it.

Last edited:

Argos

Guru
Hard one i think is almost imposible to make it perfect, i just wanna try to cheat the eye a little with my atempt, really bad selection because of that XD.

unnamed2.jpg