What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with light ereas in sky

john hulland

Hi am new too the site
Am trying to get rid of the light areas in the sky If anyone could help me that would be great. am not asking for anyone too do it for me. just .too point me in the right direction in photoshop
keep.jpg

Thanks for your help
john.

By "the light areas", do you mean the clouds, or the band of lighter tones in the lower part of the sky that is just above the horizon, or both?

Tom M

Last edited:
I assume (like Tom) that you mean the band of light area I have circled?

Untitled-1.jpg

If so then as always there are a variety of ways to address this.

EG

Duplicate the layer
Make a selection of the sky - I used select by color range)
Promote the selection to a layer on its own (using Ctrl + J)
Create a new layer above this
On the new layer create a gradient fill using dark blue to a slightly lighter blue
Now clip the gradient to the layer containing the existing sky (to do this hold down Alt while you SLOWLY move the cursor between the 2 layers - the cursor will change to a bent arrow with a white box, at this point left click)
You can vary the intensity using the Opacity.

Another way is to completely change the sky -

Again select the sky (using your preferred method)
Create a layer mask while the sky is selected
Place a new sky layer below that layer.

There must be at least a dozen more ways of doing this!!

Cheers

John

OH Welcome to the forum - and I really like it when people ask HOW to do something - that way we all learn something!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi thanks for your help. i give it a try
john.

NPJohn

Using the first method I described I came up with this in about 3 - 4 minutes. The only addition was that I added a layer mask so I could bring a bit more of the clouds back. If I spent a bit more time I would make the selection around the trees a bit better.
Untitled-2.jpg

My layers panel looked like this.
layers.jpg

Cheers

John

Last edited:

Back