What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reversed Restoration

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Very nicely done! Any chance that you might post how you did it?

Thank you Sam.

I will, but give me some time to prepare this, English is not my native language and I don't want to write silly things...

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Here's how I did this:

- Open the original image

- isolate the locomotive using the pen tool. (Work thoroughly, it is a good exercise and the whole work depends on it.

01. Locomotive.png

- place the loco on this own layer

- use color range to select the dark parts of the loco and give it his layer

- use color range to select the red parts of the loco and give it his layer

- open the two rust textures (high res)

Rust_1.jpgRust_2.jpg

- place the flaked rust texture on top of the flat square parts of the loco, resize and apply a layer mask.
With a black hard brush, brush away the exess of texture. Apply overlay blend mode.
- repeat for the flat square parts.
- place the general rust texture over the whole picture. Select the dark parts layer of the loco. Apply layer mask.
- brush away the already done part where there's flaked rust texture. Apply overlay blend mode.
- select the general rust layer and reduce the redness with hue/saturation to match the flaked rust texture.

- select the red parts of the loco, desaturate at will and darken it at will to make it a fade dirty orange color.
- place the general rust texture over the red loco layer. Apply overlay blend mode. Apply gaussian blur a will.
- make a new layer on top. With a white brush tool make the 'bullet holes' (at will)(shattered glass.abr)

Make a composite snapshot (shift+ctrl+alt+E)

- Adjust the colors in general (depending of what you want)
- Drag the snapshot on top of the background locomotive and make sure it fits perfectly

I think I've said everything.
Once again I forgot to name my layers :banghead:

This exercise took me about one hour to make and I spend most of the time on selecting the loco with the pen tool.

I hope this explaination makes sense.

Last edited:

SMOk3

Power User
Excellent work, and will be giving this a try soon.

MikeNero

Here's how I did this:

- Open the original image

- isolate the locomotive using the pen tool. (Work thoroughly, it is a good exercise and the whole work depends on it.

View attachment 60159

- place the loco on this own layer

- use color range to select the dark parts of the loco and give it his layer

- use color range to select the red parts of the loco and give it his layer

- open the two rust textures (high res)

View attachment 60160View attachment 60161

- place the flaked rust texture on top of the flat square parts of the loco, resize and apply a layer mask.
With a black hard brush, brush away the exess of texture. Apply overlay blend mode.
- repeat for the flat square parts.
- place the general rust texture over the whole picture. Select the dark parts layer of the loco. Apply layer mask.
- brush away the already done part where there's flaked rust texture. Apply overlay blend mode.
- select the general rust layer and reduce the redness with hue/saturation to match the flaked rust texture.

- select the red parts of the loco, desaturate at will and darken it at will to make it a fade dirty orange color.
- place the general rust texture over the red loco layer. Apply overlay blend mode. Apply gaussian blur a will.
- make a new layer on top. With a white brush tool make the 'bullet holes' (at will)(shattered glass.abr)

Make a composite snapshot (shift+ctrl+alt+E)

- Adjust the colors in general (depending of what you want)
- Drag the snapshot on top of the background locomotive and make sure it fits perfectly

I think I've said everything.
Once again I forgot to name my layers :banghead:

This exercise took me about one hour to make and I spend most of the time on selecting the loco with the pen tool.

I hope this explaination makes sense.

I really do love it! Is it possible if you make a video tutorial of this? :)

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I really do love it! Is it possible if you make a video tutorial of this? :)
Oops, never made a video tut so...
But actually this manipulation is quite simple, just follow the instructions in my post #7.