What's new

Reversed Restoration

Eggy

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Forum Moderator
Very nicely done! Any chance that you might post how you did it?
Thank you Sam.

I will, but give me some time to prepare this, English is not my native language and I don't want to write silly things...

Last edited:

Eggy

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Forum Moderator
Here's how I did this:

- Open the original image

- isolate the locomotive using the pen tool. (Work thoroughly, it is a good exercise and the whole work depends on it.

01. Locomotive.png

- place the loco on this own layer

- use color range to select the dark parts of the loco and give it his layer

- use color range to select the red parts of the loco and give it his layer

- open the two rust textures (high res)

Rust_1.jpg Rust_2.jpg

- place the flaked rust texture on top of the flat square parts of the loco, resize and apply a layer mask.
With a black hard brush, brush away the exess of texture. Apply overlay blend mode.
- repeat for the flat square parts.
- place the general rust texture over the whole picture. Select the dark parts layer of the loco. Apply layer mask.
- brush away the already done part where there's flaked rust texture. Apply overlay blend mode.
- select the general rust layer and reduce the redness with hue/saturation to match the flaked rust texture.

- select the red parts of the loco, desaturate at will and darken it at will to make it a fade dirty orange color.
- place the general rust texture over the red loco layer. Apply overlay blend mode. Apply gaussian blur a will.
- make a new layer on top. With a white brush tool make the 'bullet holes' (at will)(shattered glass.abr)

Make a composite snapshot (shift+ctrl+alt+E)

- Adjust the colors in general (depending of what you want)
- Drag the snapshot on top of the background locomotive and make sure it fits perfectly

I think I've said everything.
Once again I forgot to name my layers :banghead:

This exercise took me about one hour to make and I spend most of the time on selecting the loco with the pen tool.

I hope this explaination makes sense.

Last edited:

SMOk3

Excellent work, and will be giving this a try soon.

Here's how I did this:

- Open the original image

- isolate the locomotive using the pen tool. (Work thoroughly, it is a good exercise and the whole work depends on it.

View attachment 60159

- place the loco on this own layer

- use color range to select the dark parts of the loco and give it his layer

- use color range to select the red parts of the loco and give it his layer

- open the two rust textures (high res)

View attachment 60160 View attachment 60161

- place the flaked rust texture on top of the flat square parts of the loco, resize and apply a layer mask.
With a black hard brush, brush away the exess of texture. Apply overlay blend mode.
- repeat for the flat square parts.
- place the general rust texture over the whole picture. Select the dark parts layer of the loco. Apply layer mask.
- brush away the already done part where there's flaked rust texture. Apply overlay blend mode.
- select the general rust layer and reduce the redness with hue/saturation to match the flaked rust texture.

- select the red parts of the loco, desaturate at will and darken it at will to make it a fade dirty orange color.
- place the general rust texture over the red loco layer. Apply overlay blend mode. Apply gaussian blur a will.
- make a new layer on top. With a white brush tool make the 'bullet holes' (at will)(shattered glass.abr)

Make a composite snapshot (shift+ctrl+alt+E)

- Adjust the colors in general (depending of what you want)
- Drag the snapshot on top of the background locomotive and make sure it fits perfectly

I think I've said everything.
Once again I forgot to name my layers :banghead:

This exercise took me about one hour to make and I spend most of the time on selecting the loco with the pen tool.

I hope this explaination makes sense.
I really do love it! Is it possible if you make a video tutorial of this? :)